Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed with hip OA

nanabanana
nanabanana Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi. An x-ray has recently revealled that, at 62, that I have mild osteoarthritis in both hips, although I only get pain on one side. I am taking home made turmeric & black pepper paste 2x daily, which appears to be helping, and for the last 3 weeks, a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, but I understand that it is too early to expect results yet. I also use voltarol gel, which helps more with the referred pain in my thigh, and my GP has given me a prescription for codeine.

I read that losing weight can help, and I have managed to shed a stone by fasting 2 days a week, which has helped a lot more than I expected. My biggest hurdle is staying active, as I don't go out often, and live alone, which isn't a problem in itself, but it makes it too easy to sit at my pc for hours on end. I also have severe ADHD, which means that I sometimes often forget my exercises and supplements. I am looking forward to reading what others are doing to manage the condition

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968

Hello @nanabanana and welcome to the online community,

You have certainly made a great start in managing your recent diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your hips - looking at complementary treatments; losing weight and considering the best form of exercise to take. Joining the online community is also a great step!. All our members are friendly and supportive and I’m sure will offer some great tips from their experiences.

The Versus Arthritis website has a page on getting started with exercise that you might find useful:

I really enjoy the ‘Let’s move with Leon’ videos, also on the VA website. They are fun, not too long (!) and you can do them at your own pace. Here’s the link to the festive edition:

Good Luck, and do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• kpdalston
    kpdalston Member Posts: 6

Hi @nanabanana

I have recently had a hip replacement but have had increasingly bad osteoarthritis in my hip for around 6 years. The times it was worse were definitely when I moved least, stuck at my desk all day for work. Walking and standing for any length if time became really painful but going for a swim or even a walk in a pool were really helpful, as was a bit of gentle cycling. Our local hospital also ran some online exercise classes, very friendly and easy, bit moving a bit really helped. I hope you can fun something which works for you and best wishes.