New to this

Hi I am 35 and have been diagnosed with reactive arthritis. I have been on 5 steroids a day for 6 months, I have been on sulphasalazine for 4 weeks, I currently take 4 tablets a day now. I have tried several times to decrease my steroids and dropping just 5mg makes too much increase in pain.

I am down and am aware that 12 weeks the medication begins to be enough in your body to take effect but I am struggling to be positive and cannot see past the pain at the moment.

So anyone come the other side of this part of the journey, or have any good tips I'd be grateful thanks.

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    edited 1. Jan 2022, 11:55

Hi @TommyT22

Welcome to the Online Community, I’m very glad you found us, I’m sure you will find this a comfortable place where you can get answers to your questions.

You have been diagnosed with reactive arthritis for about 6 months and you are taking steroids and sulfasalazine but you are struggling to reduce your steroid dose.

Here is our information about reactive arthritis

Are your steroids providing pain relief for you? If so I can see why you will be reluctant to reduce your dose. It needs to be reduced very slowly and only you will know how long this will take.

Do be nice to yourself. You are getting your head round a longer term condition than possibly any you have had in the past and it’s affecting all your life, you are bound to be anxious and worried and that’s fine.

Here is our information on well being which might help you

Please do keep asking questions - we will be here for you.

Take care

Yvonne x

• Hi @TommyT22

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time.

Thanks to Yvonne for providing the links to reactive arthritis and emotional wellbeing - I hope you found them helpful.

If you haven’t already done so, you may also wish to post on Life With Arthritis so that you can seek support from others who have come the other side of this part of the journey, or have any good tips on living with reactive arthritis.

Sometimes, especially when you’re feeling low and in pain, it can be helpful to talk things through with someone who understands what you’re going through. We’re here to help so you are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 to talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team