Episodic Arthritis

Hi there. I have recently received a diagnosis of episodic (palindromic?) inflammatory arthritis. I have been prescribed Arcoxia 90mg per day and was recommended to take sulfasalazine but I am putting this off for now. The reality is I have been struggling to accept this diagnosis. I keep thinking that this might be all in my head and stop taking my NSAIDs (yes, I know - it’s ridiculous). Obviously the pain returns. I experience pain and stiffness in various joints but very rarely any swelling, and I think this is why I am struggling to accept I have arthritis. I was such a fit long-distance runner for years and now I can’t do it. COULD this be something else? The lack of swelling is really throwing me off! I also have acute damage to the deltoid ligament on my ankle and am not sure if this is connected or not! sorry!! TR x

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @TRennie

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you were recently diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatism. You have been prescribed a NSAID and it was suggested that you take sulfasalazine but you are putting it off for the time being. You are struggling to come to terms with the diagnosis because although you do have pain and stiffness, you rarely suffer with swelling. You are wondering if this is the correct diagnosis. You also have acute damage to the deltoid ligament on one of your ankles and wonder if this is connected in some way.

I have found some information from our main Versus Arthritis website that you may find of interest, as well as information on tips that can help you manage your pain.

With regards to wondering whether it is the correct diagnosis, would you perhaps ask for a second opinion? It could help to put your mind at risk. Im sure if there are any other people that are member of the online community which the same diagnosis will comment and be able to share their hints and tips with how they deal with their condition.

Once again, thank you for joining us and please do keep us updated on how you are getting on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• TRennie
    TRennie Member Posts: 3

Thank you.

I suppose I am keen to understand whether it is possible to have a diagnosis of inflammatory arthritis with limited swelling. I have nothing like the type of swellings that I see online and feel like a fraud. The pain and stiffness is very much real and moves from joint to joint as seems to be the pattern in everything I read about palindromic arthritis.

thanks in advance for any advice of opinions.

TR X

• Hi  @TRennie

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you’re in pain and have been worrying about whether the diagnosis of is correct because you don’t have visible swelling.

Thanks to Anne for providing the links to palindromic rheumatism and pain management. I hope they helped.

It’s understandable that you would want to be certain of the diagnosis before starting on treatments. The decision should always be the patient’s, of course, which is why evidence-based information can help to have a more informed discussion with your rheumatologist about the certainty round diagnosis and the risks / benefits of the proposed treatments.  You may find this helpful:

You may find it helpful to record your symptoms on the arthritis tracker app so you can monitor the frequency and severity of the attacks. Although it was developed by and with young people, many adults are finding it helpful too.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team