Swimming and knee

Options

is swimming breast stroke ok if waiting for a knee replacement?

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @HMGH and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand you are waiting for a knee replacement and asking if swimming is OK. As with all questions like this if you are in any serious doubts then please ask your GP/Physiotherapist. Having said that swimming is a good way to exercise and is non-impact so if you can safely get in and out of the pool then it is probably fine. Our website contains a lot of information and in the article link below swimming is given as an example of exercises to do.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on, and I hope that the knee replacement goes well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hello @HMGH 

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum – it’s good to know that you are exploring safe ways to exercise as you wait for knee replacement surgery.

Thanks to PeterJ for providing the links to knee replacement surgery and swimming for people with arthritis, although they don’t answer your question about breast-stroke directly, I hope they helped.

Swimming is good a good way to exercise and is recommended for those preparing for a recovering from surgery but, as PeterJ says, if you have concerns about whether it’s right for you, you should seek individual medical advice.

If you do decide on swimming, you can try different strokes, listening to your body and building up gradually. You can also try doing specific movements in water to work your muscles without putting strain on your joints.

You may find the Joint School app helpful:

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I wish you well with your "pre-hab" and with your surgery.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Hi @HMGH

I was told not to do breast stroke for my back (by surgeon) and my SIL was told not to do it for her knee (physio)

Can you do any other stroke? I find crawl exhausting so do back stroke when I swim and can just float if I need a breather.

Take care