Injections in the knee to relieve pain and swelling

StarAnise37
StarAnise37 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone

I've just joined. I have severe OA of my knee (bone on bone) and wondered if anyone has had an injection and what type it was and how much it helped to relieve pain, swelling and movement. I read that it isn't always effective.

Also, has anyone had a PRP injection and its effects.

Thank you!

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @StarAnise37

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a safe and friendly space to continue sharing with us.

So I understand that you have OA in your knee and that it is quite severe. You are wondering if any other members have had any injections , if so, what was it and how did it help. You are interested in hearing about PRP injections and if anyone in the community has had them. If so you would like to know what effects it had with regards to pain, swelling and movement. You have read that it injections are not always effective.

Personally I only have experience of steroid injections and found that they helped for a short period of time. I have not heard of PRP injections but the community is large so I expect someone will have more knowledge on this matter for you. From a quick search I've found Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, is this the PRP that you are referring to?

I have included some other information below, specifically about OA in knees and how to manage your pain. I hope this will be of help to you.

Please do let us keep us updated with how you are getting on and do keep posting and joining in with the other threads.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• Hi Anne

Thank you for the welcome and for the links. Yes, the PRP I referred to is the Platelet Rich Plasma. It is where a small sample of your blood (about 60ml) is taken, centrifuged to just extract the plasma which is then injected into the affected joint. I've only read about those injected in the knee so I don't know about (or whether it is done/offered) in the other areas of OA, e.g hip, ankle etc. Also, I'm not sure if it is offered on the NHS so maybe this is not worthy of a post here. 🤔