Focused Shock Wave Therapy

Options

Hello Everyone

HappY New Year!

I have arthritis of the L3/4 facet joint and I get get chronic back muscle spasms (quadratus lumborum muscles). I've been recommended by Neurologist to undertake a program of Shock Wave Treatment by an Osteopath.

I was wondering if anyone had similar diagnosis, undertook similar treatment and had successful results or otherwise.

Thanks

NB: My understanding is that it is similar to Ultrasonic treatment (radial wave therapy) but unlike radial therapy it can treat the deeper joints by regenerating the bone surface, increasing blood flow and de-sensitising the nerve pathways to the muscles.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @BillBurr

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you find this a safe and friendly space to continue sharing with us all.

So you have arthritis of the L3/4 facet joint and because of this you suffer with chronic back muscle spasms. You've been recommended by a neurologist to have Shock Wave Treatment by an osteopath. You are curious as to if anyone has had a similar diagnosis, had similar treatment and had successful treatment.

I have to admit I had never heard of this before, but having had a quick search and read, I understand it to be what you summarized above. I'm sure there must be someone in the community that will have experienced or have some knowledge regarding your queries. Is Osteoarthritis of the spine what you have been diagnosed with?

I've included a link below with our helpline details as I find its always handy to know but am hoping people in the community will be able to help you further.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to stay involved with community by either joining in or posting yourself.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• BillBurr
    BillBurr Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Anne,

Yes I have osteoarthritis at the L3/4 facet joint. Pain levels limit my mobility but I’m due to start a program of Focused Shock Wave therapy. It’s been around for about 8 years in U.K. with quite a few U.K. osteopaths but many more in USA and Europe.

On-line reviews for other arthritic joints in sports medicine and things like tendinitis are very good and lasting. There aren’t so many reviews around for osteoarthritis of the facet joints so I thought I would check if there is any feedback from the community.

Appreciate any feedback from the community.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

It’s not something I have heard of but will look for more info. I find that my massage gun helps a lot, often negating any further treatment, a few exercises to stretch my back muscles also help and stop them pulling the spine sideways to stop any further injury. Hot wheat bags, baths and even the local pain treatment ointment all add to the relief as does resting in between activities.

its a grin, honest!