Tried 4 different Arthritis meds, can't tolerate any of them, running out of options.

Options
Mur
Mur Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi, my Name is Kathryn, I've been a Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferer for about 4 years now.

My Doctor and Consultant have tried me on various different Tablets to try to ease my symptoms,

But unfortunately up to now, my body has not been able to tolerate the side effects.

The most recent one was Salazopyrin 500mg Tablets.

I really tried my best to stick it out with them, but I actually feel worst.

I also suffer from very bad dizziness and I have been treated with Prochiorperazine Buccal 3mg Tablets.

One of the worst things about taking Arthritis Tablets, is that it always makes my dizziness much worse.

I'm at my wits end now, because apart from a few Prednisolone 5 mg Tablets, currently taking two tablets and one tablet on alternative days, it's the only relief I'm getting.

I also use Arnica Gel every day.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello@Mur and welcome to the online community,

You’ve been living with rheumatoid arthritis for four years and your body cannot tolerate the medications that you’ve been prescribed, and you feel like your running out of options.

First of all, let me assure you that you have not run out of options - every person is different and what suits one doesn’t suit another. It can take quite a few changes of meds before you and your consultant find one that suits you. Don’t give up - I’m sure there are many members in this community who have been through the same challenges as you regarding meds and have now found the treatment that works for them.

Perhaps you’d like to have a look on the ‘Treatments’ section of the rheumatoid arthritis information page that I’ve linked to below - you’ll see that there are many different types of medication. I’m sure your consultant will keep trying until a one or more is found that suits you. You will also see that there are other treatments that can be helpful, some that you can try yourself.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you are getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi @Mur, I’ve had RA for many years and every time I think I’ve found the right treatment, it stops working or it gives me some unpleasant side effects. It’s true that it can seem a bit like trial and error before you find something that suits you, but don’t give up. Keep talking to your GP and don’t feel afraid to let them know how you feel.

love Rina

• Mur
    Mur Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Rina, many thanks for your kind message. I saw the Consultant last week and he said that he did have another type of tablet that may suit me, but be because of my COPD and possible breathing problems if I caught Covid, he was reluctant to give it to me. I have a very low immune system and apparently the tablet he was considering would lower it even more, I think its called a Jack Inhibitor.

My sister in law was put on them about 9 months ago and said that she has never felt better. Although she was warned that she would be more susceptible to Infections.

It seems that the choice of tablet is crucial for your overall health and progress.

The Consultant wants me to reconsider a tablet Hydroxychloroquine 100mg once a day for 3 months, but when I tried it in the past, the side effects were really awful to Bere, so in the short term, I'll just continue with Predisolone and I apply Arnica Gel to try to keep the inflammation down.