Steroid Injections

Options
Steph
Steph Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone oniine -

I wonder if you can share your opinion or experience of having a steroid injection to ease arthritis pain.

A friend has recommended them, but when I ask my GP about ways to cope with the pain I am told to take Paracetamol on a regular basis. This doesn't help with the stiffness or reduce the pain significantly.

The pain in my hip and knee stops me from getting to sleep, and even wakes me up during the night.

What are you doing to help with the pain, and what is your opinion/experience of steroid injections? I have been told that the injections can give relief for up to two years.

many thanks, Steph

Comments

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

I've had 4 in my knee.

first one was amazing and got a good few months of decreased swelling and much reduced pain. Other 3 were a bit hit or miss, worked a bit but not great.

There a other issue is sometimes it can cause damage to the cartilage and thus make arthritis worse- not an issue for me as my joint is pretty much bone on bone lost all cartilage but for someone with a joint in better condition it would be more of a consideration.

have you had physio for the hip? targeted exercises to build muscle round the joint can make a massive difference or failing that ask for a referal to a pain clinic to learn how to manage the pain-and which pain meds can make a difference-and the way you take them to get best result.

• Chickadee25
    Options

I have just had my 3rd in 12 month. I have the injection into my muscle to give relief from systemic stiffness and swelling. I have always found them to be very good, in fact they’re marvellous. Within 2 days pain, stiffness and swelling has reduced greatly ( can’t even feel pain in my feet). I almost feel human again. I hope you get some relief

x

• Steph
    Steph Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for your help and advice. It's been almost impossible to get any ongoing support and relief for my arthritis - which started suddenly on the day of my husband's funeral. In fact I was told by one GP that 'I just had to get on with it'!

I did ask to be referred to a local hospital which deals specifically with arthritis related issues - the website shows all the experts in rheumatology, etc, Doctors, Professors.. i thought I would be able to talk to someone who can explain my symptoms and I could ask questions.

Instead I saw a young lady who didn't even introduce herself, i.e. her position - what she does. I had [at best] 10 mins. with her, she seemed to spend more time looking at my back! Hardly spoke and never asked me any questions - she advised physio.!

At that time it didn't help at all - i was given some exercises to do at home and told to 'work through the pain'. It was just after my husband's death - I guess I was dealing with some emotional pain, and couldn't really cope with putting myself through anymore phyical pain.

There was no further support - it seems that in the area I live it is accepted that people get arthritis and you have to 'grin and bear it', or perhaps I'm not demanding enough when I see a GP... I'm fairly depressed about it to be honest.

We hear about all the advances and research into medicine, but they can't give you anything to reduce pain and stiffness due to arthritis. I seem to have aged about 10 years since the onset of my symptoms.

Sorry ... having a good moan due to my frustration!

• Newyear
    Newyear Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi, i had a steroid injection in my hip and was amazing.......went to have another around 6 months later and it did nothing at all. So disappointed! I take Tamadol paracetamol 4 times a day and naproxen twice a day. The pain is getting worse. My GP has now decided to refer me for a hip replacement which i really do not want but am at a loss of what else i could try!

• Deborah2595
    Options

I’ve had 5 injections into my feet and 3 into my shoulder over the last few years and the ones in my feet worked like a treat and gave me so much relief as I’m only 26, but my shoulder ones didn’t do much at all, so I do think it’s either a hit or a miss with them, but I would say they are defiantly worth a wee try, even if it only provides the smallest amount of relief 😃

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 896
    Options

Hello @Deborah2595 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have had steroid injections and that those in your feet worked and those in your shoulders didn't have as much success. Our website has the following information which you might find of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Pippa76
    Pippa76 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello

I have had a few steroid injections tbh a bit hit and miss, but may work for you

• Peppercorn
    Peppercorn Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hi Steph,

I just wanted to reach out and say I’m so sorry for your experiences, and for your husbands passing. I’m so disappointed you’ve had such a lack of medical support.