RA

Options
JennieW
JennieW Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed in March 2021, does it get better? Can you take vitamin B6 with methotrexate

Comments

• Hi @JennieW

Welcome to the online community- I hope you find this a useful, friendly place to be! I see that you say you received a diagnosis in March 2021- is this for rheumatoid arthritis?

We all have varying experiences of living with this condition, there are ups and downs but we are all on some sort of similar journey. It does take some time to find the right treatment or medication for you sometimes, but hang in there and talk to us!

There are details here which may be of some use to you, in relation to methotrexate:

If you are in doubt, always consult your GP or a pharmacist who may be able to offer further advice!

It's lovely to meet you!

Sarah

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 452
    edited 13. Jan 2022, 21:42
    Options

@JennieW Hi & Welcome. Vitamin B9, not B6, should not be taken on the same day as MTX, as it blunts the effects of the medication. The prescription will have the exact instructions. I take folic acid (B9) the next day.

B6 has been the subject of a lot of research, and I take it as part of my veggie intake, 2 cups of canned chick peas contain my full daily allowance of B6. B6 is needed in the formation of leucocytes & IL-2. Experiments have shown that it has dual opposing functions both pro and anti-inflammatory, however experiments have shown a lack of IL-2 results in severe autoimmune disease as it is the primary instigator of T-Regulatory cells, the peace makers. Without the peace makers T-effector cells (enforcers) would rampage destructively.

Unfortunately the science is in professional journals BMJ, NATURE, Lancet, Wiley with a .com domain, which we are not allowed to post here. However you can easily google the role & function of B6 & IL-2

So in short - B6 in a pill is ok if you are deficient, but chick peas and fresh organic felafel is so much tastier as a source.

I would also highly recommend Prof Tim Spector’s myth busting lectures on nutrition on youtube.

He is head of genetics dept at Kings College Univ of London.