Learning lessons ...

Options
HoppalongAmy
HoppalongAmy Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I'm a newbee to this site but not so new with the hip, spine and knee journey. I was offered a hip replacement 10 years ago at Epsom OC and turned it down (twice) thinking I could Pilates my way through - but I was wrong and now I regret turning down that opportunity because quite suddenly I'm in 24/7 pain and can't walk or do much more than the basics. I have to start the referrals all over again. So if you get the chance folks - go for it! Meanwhile, anyone any idea the average wait time from first referral is likely to be these days. Otherwise, what does a private op cost - can't seem to get clear answers online. thanks.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @HoppalongAmy and welcome to the online community,

First of all, what a great name - that's certainly how many of us feel sometimes!

You've turned down two hip replacements thinking you could Pilates your way through but are now in constant pain and have decided to start the referral process again. Although you may have regrets, you obviously made the choice that you felt was best for you at the time. That's all any of us can do, and now it's time to review that decision.

Other members may have knowledge of average wait times and private surgery costs, although of course a lot does depend on the Health Authority that you are under and the type of surgery you need.

There's a useful page on the Versus Arthritis website that has information on OA of the hip (link below). You might find the section on managing the pain helpful.

Best wishes,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm