Arthritis in hands

Denny55
Denny55 Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi all. I have Arthritis at the base of my thumbs. In June last year I had cortisone a injection in my right hand and in August in my left hand. It helped unbelievably. But over Christmas they were both a bit sore. I put it down to being so busy. But beginning of January they both started becoming extremely painful. Especially the left one. I have a lump at the base of my thumb now. I am having to take pain meds 3 times a day and at night they are even worse. 

Any ideas why this has come on so suddenly? Or what I can do to alleviate the pain. I am waiting to speak to Muscosketal clinic next month about more injections.

thanks

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Denny55 firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have had Osteoarthritis in your hands and wrists for a while. It was improved with steroid injections but it now worse again. You are after some tips for managing the hand pain.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some that could help, linked to as a starter general information on managing pain in your hands and wrists; with some further information on Osteoarthritis in the hands.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Denny55

Thank you Joe

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @Denny55

I use compression gloves for my hands. I got my first pair from the NHS but they didn't fit too well so I bought some off Amazon. I think they help my condition with my hands. I've similar issues with my thumbs as well as my 3rd and 4th fingers. Like you I found steroid injections beneficial but the benefit wore off in 4-6 weeks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BK4Y4WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Denny55

I also bought some off Amazon. They are good. I was hoping injection would last a lot longer 😢

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi @Denny55 ,

I have it in both hands there now a tens glove you can buy them of the internet I also use the old trusted heat and cold there’s nothing worse than bone pain it’s like toothache

hope you feel better soon

Jona 😊

• Denny55

How do you use heat and cold please? I get confused as to when and how long. Thanks

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Denny55 - the rule of thumb with heat and cold is if it's swollen use cold, if it's stiff use heat. This normally works, but everyone is different. Try one, and if it doesn't do anything try the other. I'd very strongly suggest you leave a gap of time in between trying them tho! Don't go straight from one to the other. Also remember it shouldn't hurt while you're using them, and if you're using a bag of peas or similar from the freezer make sure you wrap them in a towel or have some cloth shielding you from direct contact.

Hot water can sometimes be better than just heat, depending on your circumstances. A hot bath (if you're happy having a bath) may be just the thing, or if you're feeling more decadent a good gym or spa normally has a jacuzzi or hot tub which could help a lot (so long as you're happy to go out and can afford a trip to one!)

Shell

• Denny55

Thank you Shell. That is very helpful 👍

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Another tip I use a damp tea towel put it in the freezer for 20 mins then wrap my hands in it