Hi Everybody

beachy1973
beachy1973 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everybody. I am new to the group and its in my hopes to meet some awesome people to chat with. I am currently 49 years old and have been suffering with hip pain for almost 2 years now. This past October I was told that I need both hips replaced as both hips are severely damaged due to arthritis and genetics. There is a catch-my surgeon refuses to do the surgery until my BMI is reduced. At the time I was told I needed to lose 50 pounds! I am now only 20 pounds down. I seem to be in a holding pattern with my weight and not being able to move, much less exercise is not helping at all. Some days-some moments-the pain is unbearable and I find myself being very aggregated and frustrated. My life as I knew it has stopped. I now cannot do things that include walking, climbing steps, etc. My family is wanting to go to Disney this year-but again, my life is on hold. I really do not see an end in sight with my weight and thats frustrating! I asked my doctors office several weeks back if they could recommend groups to me to talk to other people such as myself. Others that need a hip replacement, but are, too, having to wait due to weight issues. They told me that they didn't know of any support groups! Even after expressing that nobody can ever understand the emotional and mental toll this takes on a person. I honestly do not think anybody can ever understand what one is going thru unless they, too, are going thru it! So I've looked off and on for groups and forums and found Versus Arthritis just today! I look forward to talking to some of you and hope we can all help each other.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @beachy1973 and welcome to the online community,

First of all, well done for losing 20 pounds - it’s difficult to do when you are in pain and find it difficult to exercise so that’s quite an achievement. I see you’re waiting for a double hip replacement but your doctor wants to see your BMI reduced - well you’re heading in the right direction.

I’m sure you’ll find awesome people to chat with in the community - it’s a friendly and supportive group and I’m sure you will be able to give and receive help.

The Versus Arthritis website has got some useful pages that you might find interesting - I’ve linked to a couple below. The first is how to eat well with arthritis- it includes tips and suggestions on what to eat to help with the pain of arthritis:

The second website I would recommend is on how to help yourself with hip pain. There’s a really good video on gentle stretches ( I’ve tried them and they do seem to help) which will help you keep mobile and flexible:

Good luck and do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Cimca
    Cimca Member Posts: 33

Hi beachy 1973

Not hips, but knee pain. I have not even broached surgery as I know my weight will be an issue. Yes you can lose weight but as you so rightly point out if your not moving it is extremely difficult. I can only sympathise.

• Thank you SO much! And I sympathize with you too. I tell ya-I have never in my life felt "fat shamed" until now. I feel as if I and other people in my situation that actually NEEDS a hip replacement are being discriminated against. I honestly think if I were to ask for new boobs, I would have had them yesterday...its insane to think that walking and being able to get around is essential in life-and to be denied that is so frustrating. The surgeons say that its due to the risks of post surgical complications. Well, ok...do breast implants not come with post surgical complications? Or other surgeries for that matter. Its just so mentally frustrating and physically debilitating.