Neck Arthritis

Options
Pirate
Pirate Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi

Just been diagnosed with neck arthritis and would welcome any help and advise.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi @Pirate and welcome to the online community,

You’ve just been diagnosed with neck arthritis and you would welcome any help and advice - well you’ve come to the right place! The community is made up of friendly and supportive people who have all experienced arthritis in their lives. I’m sure you will fit right in.

Exercise that specifically targets neck pain can be very helpful - I have used the exercises that Versus Arthritis suggests and I have found that they really help with the pain. They can be done really gently. Here’s the link for you to check them out:

Do have a look round the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    edited 14. Feb 2022, 14:54
    Options

Hi @Pirate

I too have neck osteoarthritis (OA). The exercises are really great and I find them easy to manage. However I'm not good at keeping up with the exercises so when my neck isn't top of the list they fall by the wayside. This is not the thing to do at all!

When my neck next gets to the top of the list I need something extra. I take paracetamol, I know it works well with my other meds - you must check these things first - because I also get bad headaches, in fact it's usually the headache that gets my awareness.

This time I was really struggling so I bought a wheat bag, it looks like a collar and has velcro, you can also use it elsewhere too. It goes in the microwave, position it and wow, the effect is dramatic and wonderful. Just that time off is great, when it has eased a bit I will go back to the exercises and set myself a reminder, no excuses now that Versus Arthritis has some great stretching videos now.

xx

• DonnaC
    DonnaC Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi, anybody out there with OA of the neck been prescribed amitriptyline? If so, do you know if I can take them as & when I need them or do I have to take every night?

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Amitriptyline is taken daily, usually in the evening as it makes you sleepy.

We have a great fact-page on our web site that you may find helpful:

• DonnaC
    Options

Is there a muscle relaxant drug for use in the daytime if amitriptyline is used at bedtime, does anybody know?

• babs1888
    babs1888 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hiya. I was prescribed amatriptylen,,you take at night,,,it's not a tab to take as and when...i also go to regular physio...finding myself being in more pain recently.....I've found that a traction collar, that u pump up ,gives some relief. U can get them on Amazon and eBay,,,heat pad,tense and ice.. It affects so much, what stage of arthritis?about 18 month ago,I paid for a scan,,,I had an incident at work,19yrs ago....damaged 3 nerves,the scan showed I have now got,and arthritis, stenosis,and osteophytes around these 3 nerves....they say it stage 2 arthritis,,,,mild,,,doesn't feel mild.

How does this effect you?

Take care.

Babs.x😘

• DonnaC
    Options

Hi Babs, Thanks for your reply. First Dr I saw wasn’t sympathetic at all. He said can’t do anything about arthritis of neck, too tricky for operation. He sent me to physio & that was it. A year later had to see Dr again, a lady Dr this time, I begged for an x-ray, was prepared to pay so she sent me for one. Results were mild changes at C6 & C7 With early anterior osteophytosis. Moderate spondylitis changes at C7-T1 with reduction in the intervertebral disc space & anterior Osteophytotis. Vertebral body heights & ailment are maintained. So I have worn disc in C6 & C7, mild & moderate therefore grades 2 & 3 I believe, grade 4 I assuming is when bone is touching bone. I’m using wheat heat pad, it’s permanently around my neck. I seem to be having to need it hotter & hotter to get best relieve. I use Viterol the special one for OA. For my headaches I use solphadine or boots brand dissolvable. It’s not pleasant to suddenly be stuck with this disease. I’m in 55 & sure the menopause brought it on. I’ve struggled the past week due to lifting heavy shopping from my car. Husband doesn’t understand, he says it’s because of your job at a computer all day, it’s because your a vegetarian etc. I’m going to ask my Dr for some acupuncture on the NHS. Think I’d they don’t tell you what’s available. I only know what I do because of the forums/help sites. I’m always looking for answers. I also have it in my left ankle, have hearing loss so all of a sudden I’m not that healthy. When by rights, a non smoker, non drinker, not overweight Vegetarian should be fit & healthy. I look at my other half & often think that I’ll be the one to die first. Morbid I know but I hate having this. It’s going to be the painkillers I keep having to have that will probably finish me off. I had my first amitriptyline last night & had a wonderful sleep. Just suppose have to crack on with life. Thanks again, look after yourself 😘

• babs1888
    babs1888 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hiya,,,you sound very down,,I can understand that,,,as I'm sure you are the same,,not been able to do what we used to,,,only short drives, ect, it's so dibilatating,,I am 51,, even cleaning the house ,,u pay for it, in pain,,, why isn't ur doctor prescribing cocodomal,,,it's the same as solphadine,,,and you can also get a cream prescribed called capsicum....it's made from chillies ..thus saving you some money. I'm attaching a pic off the neck pillow,,,it really takes the pressure of around ur neck for a while, I've been off work for months due to pain, it's horrible,,,see if you can push to get reffered to a pain clinic also. Take care,,,,it's really nice to chat with someone who knows what it's like.take care.

Babs 😘