How has arthritis changed what you do for enjoyment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

All I can do is look back with regret: I can no longer do contemporary or Scottish country dancing (both big for me and done semi-professionally); my beloved hill walking is out; I can't play Chopin so well on the piano, had to give up my treble recorder (can't get the fingers into the correct places) and playing the guitar is a trial but then the ukulele is easier! I can't even walk for more than a mile!

But then ........

I have the garden, even if I can't kneel (at the moment with daffs, narcissi, tulips, hellebores, magnolia and the apple blossom is beginning - cheers me up looking out the window) lots of friends to chat to on-line and in church. Learning Welsh has challenged the little grey cells, started with Duo Lingo and have been doing classes, on-line and earlier in person with the Welsh Government/University in Cardiff. Through that I made lots of friends with lessons and chat groups in Welsh too. I've even started sketching again (did art Higher at school and wanted to go to art school but not allowed by my parents) but embroidery using my slate frame is a trial. So now I am reading voraciously (a good public library helps as does a Kindle). So all is not lost. Even if I do get frustrated at opening jars - Good Grips have changed their jar opener and the new one is more fiddely.

I do my physio exercises every day and "Versus Arthritis" videos have been fun. Can't praise them enough. In my head I still dance as I exercise.

Yes, some days are better than others and some days I just want to cry with frustration and pain. So folks, although we can moan and look back sadly, there are always new things to find out. So long as my little grey cells can remain active, I'll be happy.

It's hard but don't give up. There are always folks worse than us.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

You're a very positive person, Moira, and I'm sure it helps.

Jars - here's my go to one though other brands / shops are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vvciic-Electric-Restaurant-Automatic-Arthritic/dp/B092VR6653/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=electric+jar+opener&qid=1649929190&sr=8-4

Chopin? I never really had to give him up as I never really had the talent to play him properly. A non-arthritic friend always reckoned you needed at least two extra fingers. But I did do an OU module on composition which was fun - and probably easier than Welsh😉

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90
    Options

Really enjoying reading these.

I did Judo from the age of 4. My dad was my coach. I started competing at age 11. I finished competing at age 25. During that time I was national champion 8 times. I trained 7 times a week, which included Judo, running, weights, boxing. I had a lot of injuries along the way, but when you are younger you recover from injuries quicker. My first major injury was at age 17, I tore my lateral ligament on my right knee. I had physio treatment for a while until I was able to train again. Over the years the odd injury would happen. At the time I didn't think " I'm going to feel that when I'm older" lol. In 2008 I tore my ACL and meniscus. I had an ACL reconstruction and meniscus removal 2010. That's when things went downhill physically. I never regained the muscle strength or tone in my right quad, despite physio and exercise. X-ray not long after showed arthritis in the knee. Shortly after that I had a complex tear of the meniscal horn in my left knee. They could not repair the meniscus as it was too badly torn. So they removed a large section of meniscus. The surgeon told me shortly after the operation that I would need a knee replacement within 5 years due to the damage in my knee. I have since been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips, lower back, neck, elbows. Plus some other health issues. I sometimes wonder if I pushed myself physically too much when I was younger, or if I would have had these issues anyway. I don't train Judo anymore, however I do some coaching which keeps me motivated and involved in something I love. I have other hobbies which keeps me busy. If I think about how fit and healthy I was before it does get a bit depressing. So I just try to think of all the fond memories I have regarding Judo.