Skiing with arthritic knee

Options

Just joined and wondered if any skiers here. Am 83 and been skiing since I was 14. Worked as an instructor for 18 years and recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in one knee. I do not want to stop skiing. Am otherwise very healthy, not overweight, non smoker but do seem to be getting more flare ups. Do not really want to take regular medication. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Skilegs and welcome to the online community,

You have led an amazingly active life, skiing since the age of 14 and now at 83 have been diagnosed with arthritis in your knee. You are reluctant to stop skiing but are experiencing more flare ups. You are also reluctant to take regular medication.

I now am reluctant to teach a "grandmother/father" to suck eggs! Please bear with me, have you considered skiing but using different equipment which would relieve some of the strain from your knees, or staying fit and healthy following an exercise routine using upper body agility that has less impact on your knees and hips.

Have you considered alternative therapies which might help with the pain in your knees?

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/what-are-complementary-and-alternative-treatments

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/therapies/physiotherapy/

I hope some of our members are able to share their experiences of skiing and/or their advice about coping with knee flare ups. Meanwhile have you thought about consulting a sports physiotherapist who would be able to advise about the specific stresses skiing is placing on your knee joints.?

Do stay in touch with us,

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Skilegs
    Skilegs Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you Poppyjane - my surgeon has suggested a hyaluronic injection - would welcome any feedback as am going skiing at beginning of March.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hi @Skilegs ,

Just some information about the hyaluronic injection you mentioned

I hope some members who are skiers post back to you soon. Enjoy your trip.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Skilegs
    Skilegs Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had a Durolane injection 2 weeks before a ski trip and would just like to say it has made a difference. I had no problem skiing all day on virtually any terrain.

However, after sitting still for an hour or so at dinner, it was stiff on getting up but loosened fairly quickly.

Now just over a month later I think I can say it is working but not the miracle I was led to believe!