knee surgery but not replacement

Options

Hi when I say I'm having knee surgery people automatically assume knee replacement I am too young to have it so instead I have been offered one which involves a plate being put in my knee to ease the pain To be honest I found it hard to take it in and don't really know much about it

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @stacey1977

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about knee surgery. I’m sorry you are in pain and need clarity around what, exactly, your orthopaedic surgeon is offering.

There are several kinds of replacement knee joint as well as different surgical methods.  The most common type is a total knee replacement, so that’s the one most people would be aware of. You can read more about the types of knee surgery on the link below.  

It’s likely that your surgeon is offering a partial knee replacement. This offers the opportunity to preserve more bone, which may be helpful for younger people. I hope this is useful and will help you to clarify with your orthopaedic team what they are suggesting as the best option for you.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline team

• stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi Mags

I think the surgery involves a metal plate in my knee

From Stacey

• stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @stacey1977

Thanks for getting back to us.

As you found it hard to take it in and don't really know much about the surgical procedure they have offered you, I suggest you contact your orthopaedic surgeon for further information.

Your surgeon should be able to give you further information and advice on the potential pros and cons of having or delaying the surgery, taking into account your age, health and level of activity so that you can make an informed choice about your treatment.

The surgeon will also give you advice about other treatments (where appropriate), explain the benefits and risks of each method and the likely outcome if you decide not to have treatment.

Best wishes

Mags 

Helpline team