Why do knees sometimes give way and is there anything you can do to help prevent it

Blueskyday68
Blueskyday68 Member Posts: 95
edited 7. Feb 2022, 19:13 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi hi why do your knees give way Sometimes with osteoarthritis and is there a way to help this thank you

Comments

•  

Hi @Blueskyday68

Thank you for posting on the forum

Sometimes Osteoarthritis of the knee can cause the muscles which are in the thighs to weaken and might make the leg look thinner. This weakness can also make the joint feel unstable and that could cause the knee to give way when weight is put on it.

It’s important to exercise and keep moving, please ask your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist if you haven’t already done so. A physio can give you a tailor-made programme for the joints in need, this as well as general low impact exercise can be very helpful. You could also have a conversation with your GP about your knees giving way, just to check that is due to the OA.

Exercise can strengthen the muscles around your knee, it can help to improve your posture and help you to lose weight if necessary. All of which can help to reduce the symptoms and pain of osteoarthritis.

I have given you a couple of links which I hope will be useful for you, if at any point you would like to talk in more detail, please give us a call on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 6pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.  

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team

• Blueskyday68
    Blueskyday68 Member Posts: 95
    edited 8. Feb 2022, 11:41

Thank you for your advice I have seen a physio and he gave me some exercises to do luckily my knee has not given way and hopefully it will not I was just curious to see what would cause it I do my exercises everyday and I also use a stationary bike thank you for all your advice I have one more question how can you tell if your knee is stable thank you

• Hi @Blueskyday68

Thank you for your post

I’m really glad you’ve seen a physio and I’m happy to hear that you are doing the exercises every day, and that your knee has not given way. With regards to your question ‘how can you tell if your knee is stable’ maybe symptoms such as locking, trouble moving the joint might possibly be signs of ‘unstable’. We are not medically trained and I don’t want to give you any definite information that may be incorrect. If you have any concerns you could speak to your physio and/or ask the GP for an x-ray which would show whether there are any calcium deposits in the joint.

You might like to take a look at our information on joint care which talks about using ‘joint protection techniques’ which might interest you.

I hope this is of some help

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team