When was your diagnosis - How did you feel?

Options
13»

Comments

• Topliner
    Topliner Member Posts: 2
    Options

My legs have been feeling heavy for nearly 12months when i finish my shift at work.10 weeks ago not only was it my legs but my back and hips hurt sometimes to the point of me crying. The pain in my hips at night has been unbearable swapping sides every 30 mins, I cannot sleep on my back or front due to pain. If I sit it hurts if I walk to far it hurts. I have today been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips and lower spine. I'm due to start as a year 2 student nurse in September and I'm scared I will not be able to carry on, I understand there a lot of people so worse of than me but I'm so down today

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 797
    edited 25. Jun 2022, 08:36
    Options

Hi @Topliner

Welcome to the online Community,great to hear from you. So sorry you are suffering at the moment with pain in the hips with osteoarthritis. You didnt say wether you were on pain medication. It might be worth it to go back to your GP or consultant for help with the pain and another examination as to the progress of your osteoarthritis.

As you are going to start training in september it would be advisable to see someone.

Here are a few links that may help

do hope these links help in some way,please let us know how you get on and do go to the forums to chat it often helps to talk to others as you feel a bit down about it all.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• DebbieL
    DebbieL Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hiya,

I bought a 4” memory foam topper. It cost around £100 but was worth every penny. I had a lot of hip pain but the foam cushions my joints and I can sleep on my front now which is better for my hip pain.

I have OA in my lower spine. If my painkillers are not working I use heat pads on my back overnight and this reduces the pain. I try to do what exercise I can manage in the day as this makes me tired and helps me to sleep better.

I have made a lot of changes but I found that I could do much more than I thought I could.

I hope you can continue with your nurse training.

Take care

Debbie

• Chocoholic71
    Chocoholic71 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I was diagnosed in January with fibromyalgia and arthritis .I was glad to be fair as people kept telling me it was all in my head,,pain is awful at times but I try to go on.if only I can get Medication sorted as I am on etorocoxib 60 but can only take it once a day,so have to speak to doctor on Friday to see what else they can prescribe.