Arthritis in TMJ/Jaw

BeCS
BeCS Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I am 32 with degeneration of my TMJ/jaw joint. I did not see many resources on here for arthritis in the jaw. Are there any discussions or resources around here? Anyone in a similar position?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,078
    edited 11. Feb 2022, 11:48

Hello @BeCS and welcome to the online community,

You’re 32 with degeneration of your TMJ/jaw joint and you’re looking for discussions and resources. I see that you’ve commented on other posts, and that’s a great way to start chatting with people and find what you’re looking for. I’m sure other members with a similar condition will soon respond.

The NRAS ( National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society) has a useful page on arthritis of the jaw that you might like to have a look at. As well as explaining the condition, it also suggests how you can help alleviate pain, including some gentle exercises:

Please do continue looking round the forum, and join in any conversations - you are most welcome.

Best wishes, Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi @BeCS, I'm 43 and have just had the same diagnosis. I'm afraid I have no advise at this stage as just trying to get my head around what it means and what can be done. I'd love to be able to support each other with this though xxx

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Welcome to the forum, @LucyJayneDavies

I see that you have arthritis of the jaw, a rare condition effecting about 17% of those with rheumatoid arthritis. The best link that I have been able to find is that given tio @BeCS above.

I hope you and @BeCS are able to support each other. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• Hi @BeCS, I'm 43 and have just had the same diagnosis. I'm afraid I have no advise at this stage as just trying to get my head around what it means and what can be done. I'd love to be able to support each other with this though xxx

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 824

Hi @BeCS and @LucyJayneDavies ,

I hope you have had a chance to chat to each other. Meanwhile I have found two NHS sites which might give you more details :-

www.kch.nhs.uk Kings College Hospital and

www.ouh.nhs.uk Oxford University Hospitals

These are specifically dealing with Temporomandibular joint problems.

Lucy you also mentioned pain in your hip so I attach a link with information about that

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Poppyjane ( Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Hayley92
    Hayley92 Member Posts: 4

Hello, I have been looking for a thread like this one. I’m 30 & have had RA since the age of 8. It’s pretty much all over my body but just recently it has really affected my jaw. It hurts to chew (not all the time, depends what I’m eating) but I can’t open my mouth as wide anymore & sometimes if I yawn or am talking it is agony! What we’re your symptoms of TMJ & does this sound familiar?

• Hayley92
    Hayley92 Member Posts: 4

Hello, I have been looking for a thread like this one. I’m 30 & have had RA since the age of 8. It’s pretty much all over my body but just recently it has really affected my jaw. It hurts to chew (not all the time, depends what I’m eating) but I can’t open my mouth as wide anymore & sometimes if I yawn or am talking it is agony! What we’re your symptoms of TMJ & does this sound familiar?