Safe Exercise?

Options

Hello everyone.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise me about safe exercise. I have cervical instability (C3-4, C4-5,C6-7) and occipital nerve pain, pain in shoulders and thoracic spine. I'm worried that I might de-stabilise the neck even further if I exercise.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks, Lynda.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Lynda

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. 

With most neck pain conditions, it is important to try to remain active to keep your muscles and bones strong as this supports the joints.  Many people with joint pain worry that moving more could make things worse, but in most cases this isn’t true.

As you have not mentioned the cause of your cervical instability, I have provided some information below about neck pain and osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine which explains why exercise is recommended. Both contain links to the recommended exercises under managing symptoms.

If OA or cervical spondylosis aren’t familiar to you from discussions you have had with your healthcare team, or if you have been diagnosed with a different condition, we would suggest you seek advice from your GP.  As you are concerned about the joint instability, we would suggest that you talk to your GP or a physiotherapist about your concerns so you can ensure that the exercises are right for you.  

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team