Socks.

Options

Hiyi, can anybody tell me when to start wearing the tight socks please?

Comments

• Hi @charis, welcome to the online community! It's lovely to have you here.

Would you be able to tell us more about the situation? Do you mean compression stockings? Is it for post-surgery care, varicose veins, to reduce swelling, restrict movement, or anything else in particular? Somebody might be able to help with a bit more information.

Best wishes, Sarah (moderator)

• charis
    charis Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hiyi Sarah, thank you for the lovely welcome, I've been reading Versus Arthritis for a good year now, I also phoned a couple of times for advice, I must say, you're all so good at what you do and I'm never finished telling others about you. I am to go into hospital, a week on Monday, for a full hip replacement, and like everyone, it's been a long wait. I'm 60, over weight (15st.,) but have been active. In the past week, I've had to stop doing my physio exercises in the pool and cycling in the gym every morn, as I can't drive anymore. I've treated myself an adult trike for 'hope' after my operation, and in the meantime, I have it here with me in my Livingroom so as I can cycle backwards on it and stay stationary and look out the window. 😁I haven't slept in my bed for over a week now, it's just a waist of time going up, to come back down 2 hours later in a bad mood!😆Although my chair can recline and my feet can elevate, I can only sleep with my legs down, feet on the floor. My ankles have started swelling up, and I just thought the anti-embolism stockings might be the answer, 🤨or again, might be a bad thing? Lord forbid that swollen ankles are enough to put me to the bottom of another 3 year list!😨

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @charis  

A welcome to the Versus Arthritis from me too. 

Thank you for providing more detail as suggested by Sarah. 

I’m sure that other forum members will be able to offer their advice as regards the use of anti-bolism stockings. In the interim, here’s an old discussion on the forum that you may find useful: 

Also, our website has a section on hip replacement surgery which you may find of interest:

I hope that your hip replacement operation goes successfully and helps to address some of the daily issues you’ve been living with. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@charis

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. I'm sorry that things are so uncomfortable with your surgery so near in time. We'd not be able to advise over if you might consider wearing the tights that help prevent blood clots. This is something to ask someone medically trained. If you struggle to get through to your GP on the phone, ring 111 and they can give you medical advice or help you speak to a GP.

If you'd like any further information about your arthritis, do ring us on 0800 5200520 9am - 6pm Mon-Fri.

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team