Recently started Methotrexate

Hi gang,

Just a quick question, I had my first dose of methotrexate last Sunday after an appointment on Friday with my rheumatologist… I was originally taking Sulfasalizine but I’m still in pain and my ESR and CRP levels are still high, so we’ve gone onto 15mg of Methotrexate. Apart from feeling sick and tired I haven’t been feeling too bad, but for the last couple of days I’ve gotten this dry scratchy throat, keep coughing and when I breathe in it sounds like my throats closed a little and it’s a bit chesty, but I can still breathe ok! Is this common, has anyone else experienced it? (Negative lateral flow test too - As I work in the hospital so have to take daily tests)

I’m due to take my next dose in the morning and I’m panicking it’ll make it worse!

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Abbie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Personally, I wouldn"t. You probably have this nasty cold that's doing the rounds though it could just be a reaction to the meth. Either way, I'd skip the meth this week and then take advice from your rheumatology nurse. I'm just a person with RA on meth for years not a member of the Helpline team.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@Abbs06 I agree with StickyW, I took the MTX just as I thought I was having a very mild chest infection and that was a big mistake. I took the MTX thinking it was only a mild thing, forgetting its mild if your immune sys is working and not suppressed, and the mild turned into raging chest pain, for 10 days.

Best see your rheumy before the next MTX dose

• Abbs06
    Abbs06 Member Posts: 10

Thank you for the advice guys, unfortunately I took it yesterday and bloody tested positive for covid this morning 🤦🏻‍♀️ waiting on a Phone call from the doctors, they think I will need to infusion to help fight it… feel like death warmed up! Hoping this doesn’t get worse once the MTX kicks in 😭

• Hello Abbie,

I hope the covid was not too bad on you, how are you. Did you continue with MTX? I had similar side effects with it.

I'm thinking to choose Sulfasalizine next. I also just tested covid positive :(...

one of my children tested positive with me I'm hoping it will not be too bad but still worried :0

kind regards

mcx

• Hi there

I was just checking the inbox and I realise that we'd not replied to this thread. I just want to apologise for that. If you ever want to talk things over, you would of course be most welcome to ring us on our freephone 0800 5200 520 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm

Methotrexate | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org)

All the best

Guy - Helpline team