Help with Medications

Hello again, I’m sorry to be a nuisance but I just read about the dangers of opioid addiction in over 60’s while waiting for hip replacement etc.

I’m 68 and I’m waiting for hip & shoulder replacement due to osteoarthritis. I also have severe back problems, having had surgery and many injections. I’ve also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia up to 20yrs. ago. I’m struggling with my mobility and and my pain has just rocketed, as you can imagine.

My GP has been sympathetic and I’ve stopped Tramadol, but I’m on slow release morphine at 40mg twice daily. I’ve come down from 60 mg twice daily but I’m increasingly concerned as I’ve read and I know that it could lead to surgical complications. Nobody will tell me what is a acceptable amount to take with my up and coming surgery. I don’t have a problem reducing slowly, but I need to know what a aneathetist would be concerned about. My GP just says the amount that I find I’m comfortable with for my pain.

I don’t know how to find out what surgery would be safe when I have such debilitating pain. I don’t mind coming down again if this is necessary but I could wait for another year for surgery and the pain is already destroying my life.

Can you help, please.

Ann

Comments