Hi I'm new (finger swelling & pain)

AndyT
AndyT Member Posts: 47
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi, hoping someone can relate to the problems I am having with my hands.

I'm 42 I currently have swelling along in the full length of all the fingers on my right hand, and 3 fingers on my left. They are painful at the base, it is very difficult to bend the fingers on the right hand due to the swelling - it doesn't improve much through the day but my left hand improves a little. Starting to get pain along the fingers too, everyday basic tasks are so difficult and painful.

This recent flare of swelling started around 5 weeks ago, and doesn't seem to be improving (my GP prescribed Naproxen 3 weeks ago)

My problems started 2 years ago (Jan 2020) with unexplained swelling on my left index finger - it settled down then came back again, so GP referred me to Orthopedics, I had x-rays & ultrasound which showed no issues, the surgeon decided it must be trigger finger so then had to wait for a steroid injection. In the meantime I started getting pain at the base of the fingers of my right hand, then pain in the balls of my feet when walking.

Last January I started with swelling in my Right hand index finger, which spread to all the right hand fingers, then I started with Raynauds type symptoms - my fingers turning numb and white if cold. If I was slightly too warm, my hands would swell more and become red/hot all over . Also had rashes & blistering on some of my toes. GP referred me to Rheumatology (long wait) and I started cutting out inflammatory foods & alcohol, and later on gluten. Things gradually improved over the summer, I could play guitar again and a bit of careful DIY, although my right hand was never quite right.

I first got to see a Rheumatologist in August 2021 - x-rays and full blood tests revealed nothing. I got a bit sloppy with my diet at times and went back to gluten. In October I finally got an ultrasound scan for my right hand, did have some swelling/pain again but they found nothing on the scan.

For a few days over Xmas I went back to sugary processed foods and beer, coincidence or not I felt more soreness in my hands & feet a few days later. Another week later and the finger swelling came on gradually , as mentioned above.

I saw the Rhematologist again last week (belated 2nd appt) who was pretty dismissive of my swollen fingers, and sent me off for more blood tests and requested another scan.

Sorry this has ended up so long! any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 948

Hello @AndyT and welcome to the community, I hope that you find it friendly and supportive.

I understand that you have swelling and pain in your fingers and hands but are still awaiting test results. I hope that they come through soon and you get a proper diagnosis. Our website has a number of articles on hands and what you can do to help with the pain so I would suggest having a look around it. To help I've put a couple of links in below which might be useful to you.

Hopefully you will get a diagnosis and treatment soon, but in the meantime please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences and support as well

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• AndyT
    edited 15. Feb 2022, 13:56

Thanks Peter.

my post is too long, so it could be summarised as -

Swelling the full length of the fingers (see pic -my fingers are normally very slim)

Red lumps under the skin on the back of the fingers, for a few weeks.

Stiff fingers and pain at the base. stiffness worst in the morning.

‘Raynauds like’ white numb fingers when cold.

Issues with circulation in my fingers, blotchy Red/white/purple, redness right underneath the skin, particularly at the fingertips.

Soreness in forearm tendons/elbow, stiff back of ankle, twinges in shoulder joint (all started at same time as the latest finger swelling.

All xrays/scans of hands show no wear and tear, no enlarged pulleys etc.

Blood tests so far show no issues, I’m told.

If anyone can relate to any of this,please let me know your symptoms/outcome.

Thanks.

• AndyT

Anyone had months of full finger swelling & pain but bloods ok?