Hi, I’ve been on Rituximab for 8 years - my saviour after all other drugs failed after three years each time.
However, last time, my rheumatologist said it was fine to have the second dose after 13 days, rather than the recommended 14. This time, he wanted me to have it after only 12 days. At our hospital, it’s the junior doctor’s role to book my appt, admit me and do the pre-infusion checks and tests. When he rang me the second time (we had to postpone as I’m due my 4th Covid vaccine), I asked why the recommendation is to wait two weeks. He said my rheumatologist said 14 days is the guideline but that 12 days is fine.
I said I felt I’d rather wait the full 2 weeks. As well as being immunosuppressed, I have no Covid antibodies and also have had a colonised lung infection for nearly two and a half years, which didn’t respond to any meds and meant I had sinus surgery 5 weeks ago (which has made symptoms worse, not better!). I also said that surely if there was no issue with fewer days between, it’s all be given as one infusion, as they wouldn’t use a hospital bed, nursing care and infusion on two separate days if they could do it in just one day.
I’ve looked at Versus Arthritis, NRAS and BSR but can’t find an answer. Any ideas anyone, please? Incidentally, the junior doctor was very understanding of my concern and said of course he could book me in two weeks apart.
- All Categories
- 2.3K Welcome
- 17 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 40.4K Our Community
- 670 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 8.7K Living with arthritis
- 2 Want to Get Involved?
- 53 Hints and Tips
- 221 Work and financial support
- 390 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 40 My Triumphs
- 132 Let's Move
- 24 Sports and Hobbies
- 13 Food and Diet
- 256 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 16 Community Feedback and ideas
- 333 Chat and News
- 29 Val's Cafe
- 269 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe