wits end..!!!

thank you ☺️ i have to take folic 24hrs after my methotrexate to be honest i actually feel a bit of a lift in moods which kinda makes me find a bit of motivation but for some reason something isn’t working i used to get i call them flares 1 a week to 2 weeks i’d have a sore wrist or elbow foot knee quite manageable but starting a month ago became more regular gradually then wrist and knee together hurt like hell goes away 3 days later other wrist right foot swollen i couldn’t wear socks or trainer or slippers now it’s every day feels my whole body is swollen near enough i can’t use my arms fingers without serious pain i’m hobbling because of my feet and knees don’t seem to subside in pain and swelling but worst of all my wrists both together have become unbearable constantly in pain can’t sleep because slight movements hurt some nights i’m sitting up in bed crying my eyes out like a baby 1 because of the pain 2 because i don’t want it to be me i that’s selfish in a way but i can’t help it ..i lost my house my wife my well paid job and my 7 year old boy who’s my No1 reason i’m still here it got so bad and it was all due and because of my SRA life changing disease i’m sorry if this has put you on a down feeling but i’m hearing stay positive think happy thoughts i can’t see how when i’m in excruciating pain sobbing my heart out to myself either on the floor on sofa or 4am in the morning sitting up in bed and i’m 2 years in i’m just starting.! some on here hav had RA for years i’m maxing out on tramadol every day naproxen as well and the pain is busting though daily all my meds are taken as prescribed to the letter it’s not working my GP don’t seem want to know listen nothing else my rheumatologist i’m starting to think he’s not real my 3 months appointments have turned into ever 6 months now but never get a call back sorry to be on such a downhill slippery slope and passing it on but i can’t think positive about any of this not 1 bit not everyone is the same don’t panic please on my moaning hopefully and i pray your get on top and live a normal life and live with and manage with your condition me i’m not strong enough to defend a whole out bodily attack i’m passed my wits end feels like i’m a loser in everything life’s got i’m 53 yrs old and nothing can take my mind off my pain .. sorry

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @dean68

I'm going to assemble the facts as far as I know them to see if we can find a way forward

You have had RA (rheumatoid arthritis) for 2 years

You take methotrexate once a week and the day after take folic acid

You also have been prescribed naproxen and tramadol

You should see your rheumatologist every 3 months but this isn't happening and it's been 6 months now

You are not getting across to your GP how bad this is right now.

You are in a poor state mentally

I do hope I've got that right but if I've made a mistake somewhere please say so. We can at least help you with support and it's easier to do that if we have all the information straight. I read that Helplines have asked you to ring them, it's a good idea. They are there from 9am - 6pm Monday - Friday 0800 5200 520

Can you get all your meds and give them a read and then make sure you are taking the right medication at the right time. That's a good start and it's one of the things you can tell your rheumatologist so he can understand your situation. There are options in that many members take folic acid every day EXCEPT their methotrexate day and find it very helpful.

You have had RA for 2 years so was it better controlled in the beginning? If it was is there something that could have triggered this flare? That would also be helpful to your rheumatologist.

If you could get an appointment with your rheumatologist that would be most helpful. I'm sure our members will have their own ways of doing this but I find ringing up the secretary and explaining to them is helpful. They can liaise with the rheumatologist to get the best date for your appointment

You could really do with family or a friend to help you when you have appointments and such. I find I forget a lot of what went on or struggle to remember it clearly or I forget to say what I wanted to say. So I always write things down and I take someone with me, that may help you too.

Do let us know how you are getting on

Yvonne

• Bic1982
    Bic1982 Member Posts: 31

Hi @dean68

I wanted to post just to say how sorry I am that you are struggling so much. I was diagnosed with RA many years ago and during that time I have experienced many periods of time where there has been no control of flare ups regardless of the drugs that I have been on. I have found my relationship with my rheumatologist to be key at these times and really would recommend contacting them regularly until you have a an appointment. It may be that by tweaking your medication, you are given a whole new lease of life. I know its not always that simple and believe me when I say I have had my share of times what I have felt at my wits end but they have all passed and that will happen for you too. This is a great place to air what's on your mind and get support, especially if you feel you have none at home.

Please take care.

• dean68
    dean68 Member Posts: 27

thank you bic i appreciate that trouble is this is all new to me if sound selfish i apologise because like you and millions of others we are all suffering one way orr the other but i really do no know who to turn to i’m on my own lost hell of a lot because of RA it’s depressing me and now this last month the actual pain is constantly there i can see where my bones ar pushing on my skin to top that off i’m now getting round itchy sores where i flare and they haven’t gone i have 2 on my ankles that bleed i i don’t know how to get hold of my rheumatologist ive never called anyone before my doctors are excuse my language crap .!! but Bic i will do the best i can with your advice i thank you with all my heart .

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

Hi @dean68 you haven't said how long you have been on Methotrexate which takes between 3 to 12 weeks to work, nor how many thoughts and how many wits end you had. Starting a month ago is only 4 weeks. During that sort of timescale you might find yourself thinking at least a million thoughts, and twenty dozen wits ends. I would say be yourself. If it takes a million thoughts for you, and twenty wits end then it will take a million thoughts and twenty wits end.