Recurring conditions

Hello,

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees five years ago. I was told I must strengthen the muscles around my knees in order to support my knees. I followed this advice. Things were going well. A week ago, I began to limp due to increasing stiffness in my knee. This came out of the blue. Can you explain how this can happen?

best wishes,

unhappy knees

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @piihonua and welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I see that you have had OA in your knee. Building up the muscles around the knee has gone well until recently when you’ve experienced some stiffness causing you to limp. You’d like to hear from any forum members who might be able to suggest why this has happened. 

In case you haven’t visited our website, this link may have some useful information:

Also, here’s a link to some knee specific exercises:

The other thing I would suggest is seeing a physiotherapist to revisit the strengthening exercises routine you’ve been doing. 

I hope you receive some useful feedback from other forum members. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Dear Piihonua

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I see that you have osteoarthritis in both knees. You have been exercising and I am sorry to hear that you now have increased stiffness in your knee and you are limping. You ask how this can happen.  

Exercise is indeed important when you have osteoarthritis and, though we are not medically trained and cannot say for certain what is increasing the stiffness you are feeling, finding the right balance between rest and exercise is important. Most people with osteoarthritis find that too much activity increases their pain while too little makes their joints stiffen up. However, it would be advisable to see a physiotherapist who can advise on appropriate exercises for you. You can check with your GP surgery about referral to a physiotherapist. Also speaking to your GP about the increased stiffness you are experiencing so they can advise you may help.

I see that ChrisB has responded to your post and has provided links to both osteoarthritis of the knee and to our information on knee exercises..

You are very welcome to call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can contact us on 0800 5200 520, Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor