Pain management for painful hips using medication

Options

I am waiting for the pharmacist to call me. Should I take my medication as soon as I feel the pain or take everyday. Not sure how to manage the pain but I am doing strengthening exercises.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Giggles

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you are in pain. I'm unsure whether the underlying cause is osteoarthritis or another condition.

We can’t provide individual medical advice so I’m pleased you have arranged to speak to your pharmacist, as they will be able to answer your questions about how you should take your medication to manage your condition.

You may find the following information helpful.  

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. We can talk about self-management strategies that can be helpful in addition to the hip strengthening exercises you are doing.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline team

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

You should ask for a referral to the pain clinic as they are the experts on managing pain.

When I went I was told I was using my pain meds wrong... I waited until really hurt before taking and found they were not effective. The nurse I saw said I should take them before it gets that bad as it is hard for any drug to bring pain down from a peak and easier to manage if nipped early in the bud. That obviously was advise for me so may not apply to you but get a referral- these folk are the experts in managing pain

• Giggles
    Giggles Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you for the advice. I have decided to take the meds as prescribed to stop the pain reaching severe and on day 2. I have also have a telephone call with the pharmacist booked. Take care.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,741
    Options

You do need to take your meds regularly to stop the pain building up. They work much more effectively that way. Having said that, I used to reduce or top mine up slightly depending on whether I had a hard day ahead, but I always took them before/during the hard day, rather than to just kill the pain afterwards. (I mostly try to moderate the doses to manage the awful constipation from the codiene, along with loads of laxatives of course - with varying outcomes 😲! Without that I would have stayed on the same dose all the time.)

• Giggles
    Giggles Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you for your comment. I am now trying medication once a day rather than twice. I have been doing my exercises aswell and was informed by a friend with arthritis that exercise really works and she no longer needs pain killers. Take care Lilymary.