OA & Torn Meniscus

Options
Lynnski
Lynnski Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello all. I am female, 47, and was diagnosed with OA alongside a torn meniscus (cartilage) in my right knee last year. I've had issues with this knee for so long now I can't remember when it all started, however despite having the knee x-rayed several times over the past decade or so, it only finally showed up some arthritis in the last one (March 2021).

On the basis of the x-ray result I was sent for an MRI (May 2021). This showed extensive OA but also a torn meniscus. I've been referred to orthopaedics (June 2021) but still not heard a word from them, and self referred to physio (on my doctors advice) in the late autumn of 2021, also nothing from them yet.

I self referred to occupational therapy at the end of January and have had a home visit and assessment already! They've supplied me with a shower board although I don't have a shower, only a bath. They have contacted my housing association to recommend they fit me a shower, as it's becoming increasingly difficult to get out the bath.

I've also got bursitis that comes and goes. I started out with a sore, swollen, clicky knee but now all of my right leg is in almost constant pain, especially the hip. I understand my body is compensating as I walk/move for the pain etc, but I'm also worried the OA is more widespread, as I've only had the right knee scanned, and had a diagnosis of osteopenia about 8yrs ago due to contraception which I no longer take.

All of my diagnoses have been over the phone, the only people I've actually seen are the x-ray/MRI/OT staff, and I feel like I've been left with no real support or advice. Any time I phone my doctors surgery all I've had is phone appointments, due to covid obviously but I'm kind of in limbo here waiting to be seen by orthopaedics and physio. I don't want to do anything i.e. exercise incase I make my issues worse, but I'm trying to stay active by walking every day, the crappy weather isn't helping with that!!

I don't sleep well due to the pain and my already rubbish mental health is suffering. I was given Naproxen but that didn't do anything. Ibuprofen and paracetamol don't do much, occasionally a gel version helps for a short while. I'm now on cocodamol to help me sleep but it only seems to help for about 4/5hrs.

Too long, I know, so to sum up, I'm in constant pain, tired and fed up. I live on my own and I'm on universal credit so I'm also broke and lonely (sometimes, otherwise I like having my own space). Waiting on PIP paperwork to arrive as well as a capability for work assessment.

I don't really know how to end this post other than say hello everyone, doesn't arthritis just suck!! ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Comments

• Hi @Lynnski

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time, but it will get better! Have you tried looking for a body pillow? I know that you mentioned living on UC which is tough but you need to try and invest in something that will help you- you might even find some cheap pillows somewhere that you could use to support parts of your body while you sleep. I have been in exactly the same position as you- not knowing how to help myself and no money to do anything with either. I bought some cheap pillows to support my knees and hips and these helped while I slept until I could get something better.

Here is some of our VA information which may be of some help to you in the meantime:

I know that you are feeling low, but trust me, there are plenty of people who are here to help you and listen to you- you are not alone!

Take care,

Sarah

• Lynnski
    Options

Thank you Sarah ๐Ÿ˜Š I don't have a body pillow but do have a few spare pillows I could use. Thanks for the links, I'll have a read and see if I can pick up any pointers ๐Ÿ‘

• Cimca
    Cimca Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi Lynnski

I also have OA and torn meniscus. I have seen physio and have exercises to do. Obviously dependant on how painful OA is I have been doing them. If you look up torn meniscus on u tube there is lots of advice. I found until I had exercised the leg, walking was too painful. I feel I am on top of meniscus the pain I'm in currently is OA. Good luck

• Lynnski
    Options

I've been referred to physio but still waiting to hear from them. I'll have a look on YouTube, thank you for the idea ๐Ÿ˜Š