Hello

Options
crackpot
crackpot Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello

I have oestoarthritis in my knees my left one is worse . I am on painkillers for the pain and also a off loading brace which helps. I used to be a nurse but retired last year after 35 years now i'm helping my husband on the farm. I am also on natural remedies as well. I need a new knee but at the moment too young ! Just need that extra support

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @crackpot

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will fine this a safe and supportive place to continue posting.

So you have osteoarthritis in both of your knees but your left one is far worse. You take regular painkillers and also use a off loading brace which helps. You are recently retired after working 35 years as a nurse and are now helping your husband on the farm. You also take natural remedies but have been told you need a new knee although they also think that you are too young for this at the moment. You feel like you need extra support.

How are you finding your retirement? With regards to helping your husband on the farm, could you be doing too much?

Im personally very interested in the natural remedies you take and wondered if they are for pain?

I think you will find being a member of the community a great source of support, especially when it comes to suggestions and ideas on what works for others. Would you consider talking to your doctors about changing your pain relief?

Ive attached a couple of items below that I think could be of help to you.

I hope they are of interest to you and can give you some information that you do not already know. Please do get involved with any conversations that are going on and please do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hello @crackpot

I too have osteoarthritis in my right knee and for pain relief I either take Ibuprofen or Naproxen, which is more effective. I also take Glucosamine & Chondroitin, ( not sure if they help or not ) . I would be interested in knowing what natural remedies you take and if it helps with the pain? Ideally I would prefer to take a natural remedy rather than prescription painkillers. I know that if I can control the pain it does help me to feel more positive about this lousy condition that affects so many people.

Keep positive and take care.

• crackpot
    crackpot Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi

I take paracetomol and diclofneac and amptripline also take flaxseed, MSM and Glucosamine & Chondrotin . I became addicted to the co-codomol which I had been taking for 16 years and overdosing and my behaviour became irratic at times not to cause harm to my patients but temper would be up and down hence after 35 yrs I retired from nursing also had some horrible work colleagues who stabbed me in the back.I was weaned off codiene and did it in 8 weeks but the side effects were awful i never want to go through that again but a lot happier now yes the pain is still there but bearable