Time to join, at last!

Options
maryjoan
maryjoan Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello, and this is me!😊

I was diagnosed over 6 years ago with arthritis in both knees confirmed with abnormal bone growth, by x ray.

I was the full time carer for my partner who had rapidly advancing dementia and physical disabilities which overwhelmed me.

He is now in a Nursing Home where he is settled and content. I do not see him since he as returned to be near his children over 200 miles away.

I am getting used to being alone, but also realising the implications of the arthritis. Walking is usually painful and always awkward and not pleasant. I use a stick. Even going outdoors I plan where I am going and decide if I will manage to achieve what I am trying to.

Having recently moved ( a traumatic tale in itself) I registered with a new Dr. Of course, it is not easy to see the Dr, so I asked the practice nurse what to do about the pain - I had been taking paracetamol.

She just said carry on doing that, or see the pharmacist in the local chemist.

I take turmeric, glucosamine, and vitamins, as well as 6 paracetamol per day.

Any suggestions - I am on a very limited income

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @maryjoan

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a safe and friendly place where you will continue to share you story with us all.

It sounds like you have been through it of recent times and I'm very sorry to hear about your partner. So you have arthritis in both of your knees with abnormal bone growth. Walking is usually painful for you. You use a stick and plan where you are going so that you can decide whether the trip is possible of not. You take turmeric, glucosamine, and vitamins, as well as 6 paracetamol per day. You have recently moved and have joined a new G.P practice. When asking the practise nurse about pain relief, you were advised to speak to a pharmacist.

It doesn't sound like you practice nurse was particularly helpful and if it was me, I would ask to speak to a doctor for some advice. The nurse is correct when she said you can ask a pharmacist but the best they will be able to do is give you something from behind the counter, which might not be strong enough for the pain you are experiencing.

Below is some information that may be of help to you and I definitely think it will interesting to see what other community members suggest to you. I know a lot of people talk about TENS machines and cold/heat therapy but it is all personal preference and what works well for you.

Please do keep us updated and do feel free to join in on any conversations that take your interest.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)