Mobility Scooters

Options
Jellylorum
Jellylorum Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi. My osteoarthritis is getting worse and I would like to get a pavement scooter that can be transported in the car. There are so many on the market that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Jellylorum welcome to the online community,

You have osteoarthritis and would like the advice of any members who use a lightweight scooter that can be transported in the car. I do not have personal experience of these but I know that numbers of our members do use them and may be able to advise you with a few questions to ask. Then if you visit a mobility equipment shop near you, you will have a check list of what features to look for. I had a look on the internet and found the variety on offer quite staggering so I am not surprised you felt overwhelmed!

I hope you receive some advice from our members. Let us know how you are getting on with your decision making.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Whatever you get you need to try before you buy as some of them are so damn uncomfortable that the agony one is in outweighs the benefits. My mobility scooter is not intended to go in the boot but I have a folding electric wheelchair which I use when I am taken out or have to get a taxi anywhere.

• Jellylorum
    Options

What type of mobility scooter and wheel chair do you have?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

I'm sure Mike can answer this for himself but I'd just like to emphasise what he's already said. You really must try before buying. We're all disabled differently even though we all have arthritis of some kind. Personally I can't get one of my feet on to most footplates. I also can't use many hand controls.

Most good disability stores will have someone knowledgeable to advise but here's a starter https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobility-scooters/article/how-to-buy-the-best-mobility-scooter/choosing-the-right-mobility-scooter-anCzn3W6E06T?source_code=911CRJ&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3E-v8ZT1nWBP9roF8DA8MIPEw45BpXLUF6Bf8L3wkmR-hfRm1IgnGhoCfMoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Colt Executive mobility scooter

I Go folding wheelchair

Invacare TDX wheelchair, I can only use this indoors/garden or if I manage to get a taxi with a wheelchair facility of which there is only one in Penzance.