Pains

I have osteoarthritis of the spine and am allergic to all painkillers,some days I cry with the pain it does not do any good but the tears still come. I have two rescue dogs that keep me mobile.I try to exercise but some days the pain really gets me down

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Didgydo and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis of the spine and are allergic to all painkillers. Our website has lot of useful information and I would recommend having a look around it. To help get you started I've put a couple of links in below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences and support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter(moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• AnnR
    AnnR Member Posts: 52

Hi @Didgydo , I’m so sorry you are in so much pain. Have you been referred to th the pain management team. They may be able to help and offer solutions for your pain which may not be available to a GP. On those really bad days take comfort from your dogs who must love you dearly for who you are with or without pain. On those good days try to go out even for a short time and appreciate the world around you. Please know you’re not alone, we’re all here for you. So ask any questions or just let off steam, we’re here.

Take care @Didgydo and today is the first day you are going to feel a bit better.

I’m sending very gentle hugs.

Ann💐

• Hi Didgydo,

Thank you for posting on our helpline forum, I am so sorry to hear that your condition is having such an impact on your life and is making you feel upset. Try not to be too hard on yourself because being in pain all the time can affect us emotionally, for example, if you're in pain or can’t do something, it might make you short-tempered or put you in a low mood and lots of people do experience this but always remember you are not alone, if at any point it would help you to talk things through informally and in confidence to one of our Helpline advisors about how you are feeling you are more than welcome to.

It is lovely to hear that you have two dogs and that you can go out walking with them because not only is exercise good for any form of arthritis but getting out into the fresh air can release endorphins that can help to make us feel better.

I agree with Ann a referral to a Pain management clinic may be helpful for you, they are usually delivered though a series of group sessions and offer a wide range of treatments and support. They aim to support you in developing self-help skills to control and relieve your pain.

You also mentioned that you are allergic to all painkillers, well I can tell you about a drug free treatment that is available from your GP on prescription which is called Capsaicin cream. It is particularly effective for Osteoarthritis so you could ask your doctor if it would be beneficial to help with your back. It works mainly by reducing Substance P, a pain transmitter in your nerves. The effect builds up over time, and it is suggested to use it four times a day and try the cream for at least 2-3 weeks to know if it is going to work for you. As the active ingredient is chilli it’s important not to use it on broken skin and she would need to wash your hands thoroughly after applying it to avoid accidently transfer it to the eyes or other delicate places.

Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor