Pain clinic

Options

Feeling somewhat frustrated as I asked GP to refer me to the local community pain clinic. He said as I am not on very strong pain killers any referral would be turned down. In other words, the clinics are only for those with very severe pain.

I contacted the local clinic and they said that a GP referral was necessary. However they said their criteria is that the sufferer has to have had chronic pain for over 6 months. Nothing about the degree of pain and nothing about needing to be on strong pain killers.

My understanding of pain clinics is that they try and help people with chronic pain to prevent them moving onto strong medication, not to wait until they are.

Comments

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi @nicholaj

My understanding was that it was for chronic pain not potency of meds. I went a number of years ago but it was pretty close to 6-9 months after diagnosis and for me it was fantastic as I was actually believed, I had the opinion that my consultant was taking my pain from my disease markers in blood tests which were good.

Is there another GP at your surgery you could ask for an appointment with? I asked the surgery if there was any GP who was interested in helping those with arthritis which I would feel would be good. They didn't so I just worked my way down the list until I found someone on the same 'wavelength' as me. I have and she has been the one I go to now for chronic related matters. If it's an illness like sore throat I can see/talk to anyone as they are all good doctors.

Hope that helps x