Feeling old!

Options
LesleyJ1509
LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
edited 28. Feb 2022, 15:02 in Living with arthritis

Hi there everyone. I am 53 and have been living with arthritis for almost 25 Years……. As the years have gone on it has become more of a challenge. Today as I was in a shop, a man in his 40s said ‘watch out for the old lady!”! I asked him if thinks I am old and his response was “not too old!

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome. And on new years eve the doctor called to say I also have hypothyroidism! Is there anyone on here with the same conditions and how are you coping? I am currently struggling with intense back pain and wrist pain too as well as headaches from the arthritis in my neck! To be honest the whole of me is in pain! I am so worried that all my aches and pains will be put down to fibromyalgia now and I am having to fight to see the doctor about my arthritis. Can anyone relate?

love from
Lesley
xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
― Mary Anne Radmacher

Comments

• Moon
    Moon Member Posts: 28
    Options

Oh my goodness you could be writing about me!!!

How dare anyone call you old!! You may feel it but I doubt very much you look it😊

I'm 54, I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 30+ years and I also have fibromyalgia, ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis. Throw in an Ileostomy too which I've had for 9 years plus 20+ operations over the years.

I have awful pain in every part of my body but especially in my neck and back and also numbness in my left arm and hand due to a damaged nerve in my neck caused by my spine fusing together. I'm in methotrexate injections, 800mg ibuprofen 3x a day, 90mg nefopam 3x a day and an waiting to hear if I can have biologics. Currently waiting for an MRI before I can have this.

I have a pretty chaotic life, I posted on here recently under the title "Struggling" and several members really came up trumps with advice and support so I hope you find the same happens for you.

I think the most important thing is to take care of yourself, I always put others first but recently I've had to take a step back and focus purely on looking after me. I take time out to go swimming, being in warm water feels lovely and weightless and is a boost to my mental health. Reading a book, watching something you enjoy on the TV, listening to music, taking a long hot bath. All these give me some "me" time and allow me to relax a little.

I'm sorry I can't really offer much in the way of ideas for pain relief, I'd like to find some too! I just wanted to reach out and say I understand exactly how you feel. I can fully empathise with what you're dealing with.

All the very best to you.

Moon

• LesleyJ1509
    LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
    Options

Thanks for your comments. I know that there are a lot of people worse off than me and therefore just try to get on with everything life throws at me, most days I can do this but a lot of the time I struggle!

just hearing someone is in the same boat helps and thanks for sharing your solutions too. The pandemic has taught me that we all need each other and I am glad that these forums exist to be able to support and encourage each other. Take care arthritis warrior!

love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher