bluealicia
bluealicia Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I am a new member with osteoarthrits and now lymphodema - will it never end.?????? I get bad reactions to all medications except for paracetamol which only takes the edge off the chronic pain that I have everywhere especially in my legs. I recently attended the cardiology clinic and was told to stop taking the soluble paracetaml tablets (I can't swallow tablets) because of salt content and have been put on the liquid version. I don't know if it is my imagination or not but it does not seem to work as well - has anyone else found this. I am getting to the stage that I feel life is not worth living as I have this chronic pain day and night and do not remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. I have a high pain threshold so I don't know what I would do if it was low. I had two children without pain relief - one weighed in at 10lbs 10ozs so you can tell I am not a "moaner".

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    edited 28. Feb 2022, 15:33

Welcome to the forum, @bluealicia . You are indeed having a tough time with osteoarthritis and lymphedema. You sleep poorly and have been asked to vary the only painkiller that has helped you, even if only a little. You have problems with bad reactions to all medications.

Here are some links to information on pain management and living with arthritis:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/august/everyday-tips-for-living-with-arthritis/

As a new post, your message went to Moderation. It has now been released to the Community and I am sure that other members will respond with information and comment that will help.

Good luck and please post again to let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator,

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @bluealicia

I believe lymphodema can be brought on by having osteoarthritis because the OA makes you less mobile and the lymph system needs muscles moving to move the liquid in the system around. I have family history of lymphodema and although I have nearly always had 'thick' ankles I haven't been diagnosed with anything.

I tend to sit with my legs raised - just to help gravity as much as possible, and I often move my feet in a circular motion to try and help my circulation as much as I can. I have also been looking at my diet to see where I can help myself there and for my own feeling of self image and I think it has been worth it, I just worked out what I was doing and made myself aware so I have a few things I can tweak to help myself there. I am good at promising myself to do more exercise but it's difficult, however if we ever get to Spring I will be getting out and about more, covid hasn't helped there that's for sure!

What are your plans to cope with your conditions?

xx