Podiatrist Shoe Recommendations

I saw an NHS podiatrist last Friday due to ongoing pain in the balls of my feet and underside of my toes. After an examination of my feet she suggested I consider a specific running/trail shoe. She suggested a particular brand (turns out they have a discount for NHS staff)but failing that any that has a carbon fibre plate in the sole. The plate is there to give the runner extra spring but she said it also worked in helping protect the ball and underside of toes. I've looked at the brand she suggested but there are a few issues. They don't come in a wide fit and the colours available look as if they were picked by a 3 year old - bright pastels. They are also expensive - around £140 a pair - and as running shoes are tested to last only about 400 miles.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

I've not heard of them before but had a google. It seems £140 is quite reasonable though there are one,or two around £120. I know people on here have mentioned Sketchers. I can't comment as I'm in surgical shoes. I rather wish mine came in bright, cheerful colours😀 Did the podiatrist mention orthotic insoles?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812
    edited 7. Mar 2022, 14:25

@stickywicket

Yes the podiatrist has given me a pair of insoles for the short term. The type she wanted to give me weren't in stock so she's ordered them for me.

As far as the carbon plate running shoes are concerned I can't see myself wearing these !

Apparently they are Radiant Yellow on the outside side and Camellia on the instep side. The tail is a bit bonkers as well. And they appear to have updated the model type - and the price to £160.

[Mod Edit - image cropped to remove online sales shop branding - Brynmor Admin]

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

I have Pavers leather ‘walking shoe’ they are supportive, heavily cushioned and very comfortable, I have my orthotics insole inside them. I hope to pick up some orthotics in the next day or two. I do find the shoe brands make a successful design then go and make it cheaper which changes the design suitability for my feet. If you change the shoe then it changes the way you walk and changes the way you stand, that is change one thing and everything changes to the detriment of my feet, ankles, knees, hips and back.

I do have a size larger than my foot size to accommodate my fused toe which is up at an angle to allow me to roll forward when I walk. Generally I wear my laces loose and I have to use extra long shoe horn to put them on ( £1 in ikea!). I should keep shopping around and settle on a type of shoe that suits.

its a grin, honest!

• AndyT
    AndyT Member Posts: 47

when I looked the other day, I think I spotted some dark grey trainers in the brand you are considering?

Avoid sketchers like the plague, I bought some memory foam ones when I first had foot pain but they were terribly flat soft and unsupportive and the memory foam lost its memory after about 3 weeks!!

• GalaxyA12
    GalaxyA12 Member Posts: 73

Strobothane brand Double strike insoles thick insole about £18 but good in a walking Boot helped me with Plantir Facilitis a walk shop managers father had this condition hugely fit mountain jogger used these and after long recovery he is almost healed.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812
    edited 9. Mar 2022, 09:17

Hi @AndyT

The company concerned do running and trail shoes in different styles. Some have the carbon fibre plate and others don't. The carbon fibre ones all appear to only be available in some crazy colours. Also the ones with the carbon fibre plate don't come in a wide fit. My son is a runner and has a couple of pairs from the manufacturer concerned and at the weekend brought a pair up to let me try the standard fit and they are too narrow for my feet.

I've actually got a pair of relaxed fit leather sketcher shoes that have a traditional shape and proper heel and they are fine to walk in. They have a decent raised arch in sole.

• Moon
    Moon Member Posts: 28
    edited 14. Mar 2022, 09:08

Look for DB shoes which are wider and deeper than most shoes and come with various removable insoles and are made to accommodate all kinds of orthotics. They cost in the region of £70/80+. You can order online, they give fitting instructions in their catalogue and if they're no good you can at least send them back. I don't know where you live but there is the most marvellous independent shoe shop in Bishops Cleeve which is just outside Cheltenham in Gloucestershire [xxxxxxxxxxx]. They are experts in dealing with "problem" feet. You won't get better care and expert advice on shoe fitting anywhere else

Retailer's name removed from post as against community guidelines to name a specific outlet - Peter (moderator)