It’s cold side, no sort of atmosphere……

Options
airwave
airwave Member Posts: 579
edited 7. Apr 2022, 12:07 in Living with arthritis

I’ve just been hit by a 150% rise in my fuel bill, I went round the house and turned the morning heating off and it’s blooming cold. My Hands and feet were cold and hurting but what else is there to do?

I’m feeling poor and hurt. What’s next, sell the house? What’s everyone else doing? Ok, ok rant over!

it’s a grin, honest!

Tagged:

Comments

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

Really sympathise. Have you checked that you're not entitled to any help. It might be worth a chat with CAB and also contact your energy supplier. They are supposed to have schemes to help those in need and the fact you're suffering from a medical condition which often worsens when it's cold could be an argument for assistance.

• airwave
    Options

No, I’m not entitled to any assistance from anybody, I was wondering how others are coping with this storm?

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 7. Mar 2022, 23:31
    Options

Are there ways you can make your house better insulated? Check your loft insulation is up to scratch (250mm is the current recommendation, laid across the ceiling joists), draught proof external doors and windows, heavy curtains are excellent and cost effective insulants at night, and if appropriate to your type of wall construction, have you looked into cavity wall insulation? If your boiler is old, it will be very inefficient, so if you can afford the outlay, upgrade to a new boiler. (Easier said that done - mine’s 30 years old and probably on its last legs!)

With all of these it’s important to ensure your house is well ventilated to stop condensation and mould (specially in unheated rooms), so use extract fans in kitchen and bathroom and open the bathroom window (close the door if you want) after showers. Ideally briefly ventilate your bedroom in the morning too. We generate a lot of humidity in our sleep! In my line of work I see a lot of damp and mouldy houses due almost entirely to poor ventilation, and heating the house for only very short periods can make it worse, as the walls don’t get a chance to warm up to stop condensation forming.

Try to stay active periodically in the house (tough for us arthrs I know) to keep your circulation going, you could try doing some of the exercise routines on this site, and improve your flexibility and muscle tone at the same time. 🙂 Invest in some snuggly throws or blankets to wrap yourself up in on the sofa. (I’m sitting under one now). Hot drinks help, and to keep energy bills down, put any spare hot water in the kettle into a flask to use later. It’s rubbish that we have to do this, but we’re living in extraordinary times right now 😢. At least we’re not getting bombed.

• airwave
    Options

Yep, that’s all done, timer dialled back on and temperature turned down. I shouldn’t moan, we’re all in the same boat.

• Cimca
    Cimca Member Posts: 33
    Options

Yes, I'm in my boat! Turned off heating, only use hot water once a week to clean, shower alternate days, try not to use the oven....... and anything else I can think of. I go to bed earlier and sometimes during the day if my knees and hips are hurting and put under blanket on, such bliss. Roll on summer!

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

@airwave Do I detect a fellow Red Dwarf fan and the coolest theme tune ever?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

@Loggiemod 🤔 mm i wonder.....

• airwave
    Options

🤪🤪🤪

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

I was around in the '50's. Ice on the inside of the windows in the morning, hot water bottles, extra pair of socks and long johns.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Snap☺️

Apart from the long johns. We women just had to put up and shut up😉

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Oh, I forgot, string vests.

• airwave
    Options

I was brought up on them, it was the string pants I hated especially when they got older and the string got stiff!

it’s a grin, honest!

• Rosiecheeks
    Options

I’m new to this site but would like to suggest using a heated throw. They use little electric and feel very comforting. Easier than heating the house.

• Hi @Rosiecheeks

Welcome to the online community and thank you for this great advice here! I have a heated blanket on my bed and I have to say that it's been a lifesaver some days!

Is there anything particular that you are looking for on here? Any advice or information that you'd like to pointed in the direction of?

In the meantime, please continue to use the online community as you feel comfortable!

Take care,

Sarah

• airwave
    Options

I’m seated here under a throw so the question is what is the product and just how much Power does it consume?

I have made a lot of savings with my gas and electricity, it was £99 per month now £264, the savings were worth £2 per month so I now pay £262, so along with turning the thermostat down to 18.5 degrees and having hours less of gas has saved £2: I could swear! Any extra spend on power will crease me and as for what’s coming in September it’ll be gas off time

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options