Pain

Options

Waiting to see the clinic in a few weeks was told I have calcium arthritis in my shoulder going into my arms, what’s the best pain relief I’ve just had my thyroid too.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hello @Lynn1958,

I see you’ve written to the Helpline who I’m sure will be along shortly to answer your query, but meanwhile I just wanted to welcome you to the online community. You’ve been told you have calcium arthritis in your shoulder and are currently waiting for an appointment at the clinic; meanwhile you would like some suggestions for pain relief.

Versus Arthritis has a page on Acute CPP crystal arthritis (a type of crystal calcium disease). You might find it useful to find out more about the condition - it also mentions treatments that may be offered, and it suggests putting ice packs on the painful joint to help relieve the pain:

All our members have experience of living with arthritis, and we’re a friendly group, so please feel free to have a look round the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes, Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Lynn1958

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about your shoulder and thyroid, it sounds as if you are going through a challenging time. If at any point you would like to give us a call on our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am-6pm) you would be very welcome, here we can take our time to talk things through informally and in confidence.  

Within the link below to shoulder pain you will find some information about calcium in the shoulder, which I think is what you are referring to, if not please let us know and we can try and find some information for you.

Also thank you to Anna for her response to you.

I’m wondering if you have seen a physiotherapist, if not this might be helpful to you. When it comes to pain relief everyone is different so what may help one person, may not another. Please discuss pain relief with your GP if you haven’t already done so.

There is a cream which is only on prescription which you could try if your doctor thinks it would be ok for you to do so. It’s called Capsaicin, this is a drug free, effective, and very well tolerated painkiller. It works by mainly reducing a pain transmitter in the nerves. It builds up in the system, so doesn’t provide instate relief. Hopefully you would notice aa difference with a week or so of starting it.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team