Managing day-to-day living with osteoarthritis of the knees

Options
Blueskyday68
Blueskyday68 Member Posts: 95
edited 13. Mar 2022, 16:48 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone how do you manage your day-to-day living with osteoarthritis in your knees I use a wheelchair on bad days to help carry things and household tasks if I'm having a good day I use a walker with a seat on it how do you cope on a day-to-day basis any tips would be helpful especially if you have osteoarthritis in your knees and have found ways of adapting daily living tasks thanks

Comments

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 224
    Options

Hi.

Well for sweeping floors I have a long handled dustpan and brush which stops me from having to bend up and down all the time. Also, for washing the floor I have a long handled mop with integrated cleaner refill. They are both quite light for me to carry up and downstairs.

For hoovering, I have a lightweight hoover upstairs and a separate hoover for downstairs.

Likewise, for hanging my washing outside, I have a lightweight clothes drier outside and another one inside, which stops me from having to carry outside and back in again. I do have a rotary clothes line in my garden, but now find it harder to carry wet washing outside and down steps, so I do not use it anymore.

In the bathroom, I have a step to help me get in over the side of the bath for the shower. Some of these items might seem obvious, but they are quite helpful and keep me independent on still doing things for myself.

Does anybody else have any useful tips to help with everyday tasks?