knee replacement. anaesthesia worried I won't get surgery

Options

I had my pre opp appointment today and am now really worried. Have found out they prefer to do epidural with light sedation.

I am terrified of epidural. I am so frightened of it I know I would flinch as they did it and am frightened I would end up paralysed as would wreck needle placement. I am not bothered about needles normally but I am really really scared of needle in spine and do not want it. it makes me shake just thinking about it.

I need this knee replacement, the nurse breezily said oh you can have light sedation after and listen to music while they do surgery but there is NO WAY I can go through with needle in spine. I know millions of women have it for childbirth but hey ho they are a lot braver then me. I am a coward who wants to go to sleep and wake up all over with no knowledge of the bit in between.

The only time I will have to discuss with anaesthesist is immediately before surgery and I am now really worried when I refuse epidural they won't give general anaesthesia and I won't get knee done.

I am really upset now. I have been on knee all morning with being at hospital and it hurts like hell and I think it may all be for nothing. and if NHS doesn't like giving general anaesthesia for knee replacements then thats me crippled for life

oh and same hospital did manage to paralyse a man having a hip replacement with an epidural 10 years ago.

Comments

• Bella59
    Bella59 Member Posts: 33
    Options

I have had spinal with light sedation on both my knee replacements.Was awake off and on during ops.I felt only little discomfort when spinal was given.It takes several hours before this wears off.I also had hip replacement six months ago with spinal but was sedated and woke up when operation over.I could hardly move before was in a lot of pain with RA and polymyalgia .I am going in couple weeks for other hip replacement with spinal.Ask if you can have light sedation before so you are calmer.Epidural is when needle is left in spine in case they have to top up if it is long lasting labour.Spinal is a one off shot in spine so I believe.I am sure you will be fine good luck.

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

I cannot have a needle in my spine while awake. I am utterly phobic of it and literally shaking even thinking of it. I am not really bothered about being awake in surgery- its awake while stick a needle in spine I have a problem with so if they will not do a general anaesthetic then I cannot have this surgery as I simply cannot go through with it.

when the consultant said I needed the knee replacement he said nothing about spinal anaesthetic. my 3 previous knee surgeries were all under general.

I am really really upset. I need this surgery but I cannot do needle in spine. I just cannot. I do not care how many people had a good experience that way- it utterly freaks me out . I have been sat here having panic attacks thinking about it. I so much need this surgery and I cannot have it if it comes with spinal.

• Bella59
    Options

So sorry to hear you are in a panic situation over spinal.Can you not phone and speak to pre operation assessment team and explain how you are feeling.Hopefully they may give you option of General better to find out now than rather than drive yourself mad with worry.I hope you have a good outcome and get your operation.

• sunnyside2
    Options

ok once I have calmed down in a few days will try and phone consultants secretary. I do not want to waste an operation slot someone else could use if they will not do it under general. The dr at the preopp appointment today said there is no way to talk to anaesthetist before day of surgery and they cannot decide till then but it would be a terrible waste if I cannot do it. the surgery was to have been due in 3 weeks. I just don't know what I will do if cannot have knee fixed and I don't think I can take 3 weeks of this level of anxiety

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

It's a difficult situation. A friend was, some years back, refused an endoscopy as he insisted on a general. I understand that spinals are less problematic and also that that is of no help to you.

We all get semi-unrealistic fears about ops. After several of my own, all NHS and all successful, I was rather anxious about Mr SW going private as a different private hospital in the same group had nearly killed a dear friend by neglect. Luckily, the NHS saved him. Of course I couldn't worry Mr SW with my fears, though, as he didn't need to shoulder mine alongside his own.

For spinals I've always had to sit on the side of the couch and lean over to make my spine visible. All I can think of is that you practice doing this and getting a partner or friend to touch your spine, very gently, with a biro, knitting needle, pointy thing so that you get used to it. And force yourself not to think negatively. I know that's tough but think of the reward rather than the fear. Practice makes perfect. But also tell the anaesthetist your fears on the day. He'll want to know.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options

Of course they will still do your surgery. The epidural is just better for them and better for us. We recover more quickly and it's safer, BUT you are not the only person who is terrified of surgery while semi conscious nor the thought of a needle in your spine.

I have experienced it myself (had a planned caesarean) and supported my daughter who had spinal chemo monthly for over 2 years. They gave her midazolam (sedation) before she had hers and she knew nothing at all about it. I did because i was there, but she was fine totally out of it.

When is your surgery due?

Take care

Toni xx

• sunnyside2
    edited 16. Mar 2022, 07:03
    Options

its the 4th of April. I need to try and calm down and try and find out once calmer what their policy is. still too upset right now to do anything.

I have had knee issues for 10 years and had 3 surgeries on it, I have worked so hard for this opp. lost 3 stone to try and be as fit as possible (not easy) even went to Dentist in January as I know they don't like manky teeth with joint surgery , exercised, you name it I have done it. I'm really invested in this its just a real shock to find out they want to do it this way

• sunnyside2
    Options

Thank you everyone. panic over!

I called, the policy is they prefer spinal but they can see no reason why I can not have a general given my fear of spinal.

such a relief! The doctor I spoke to yesterday was so determined that spinal was the way and apparently nope it is not-not if you have aversion .

I hate to be 'that' awkward patient and will normally go along with anything but this is something I have a huge fear over so it is a massive relief.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Excellent and well done on calling. Not always easy. 😊😊😊

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sunnyside2
    Options

Thank you Stickywicket. It is really painful today after being on it so much yesterday so I am really looking forward to getting it done. I know it will be worse before better after surgery but I feel like I can see light at the end of the tunnel at last after years of it giving me grief

Just got one more blood test/pcr test due on 1st of April then all set!

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 114
    Options

Pleased you plucked up the courage to ask the question and explain your fears. No surgeon is going to want a traumatised patient to operate on!

• Bella59
    Options

So happy for you that are going to get general instead of spinal.Good Luck for the 4th April.I myself will be getting my other hip replaced on the 5th April.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options

Well done I told you you would get your surgery!!!

I am so pleased you are all sorted now I bet there will be others who have it 'old style like you' even on the same day.

I need a camera down and have so far bottled it too. All medical intervention scares me and I have discharged myself 3 times from hospital so I am with you 100% there you go I never told anyone that before! When I had my back surgery they gave me the sedation like almost the second I arrived!!!😳

I am so happy for you@sunnyside2

• katiequizy
    Options

Hi I had similar fears but the anaethesist agreed to make me sleepy with sedative before giving the spinal injection and i dont remember anything about it. like other i drifted in and out of sleep during the op.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @katiequizy welcome to the Online Community.

Have you also undergone this same operation? Do tell us a little more about how it all turned out 😀

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give support. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• slinks
    slinks Member Posts: 8
    Options

So pleased this has been resolved for you, I had my first one under epidural and was adamant that I wouldn't do it again. The anaethesist was fabulous and had no problem going for a GA second time around