Advice for a newbie please: Sleeping.

Options
ChrissieH
ChrissieH Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Thank you for this opportunity. What a great idea to have this forum.

I'm new to thus type of thing so excuse me.

I've recently been diagnosed with severe OA in both hips and left knee. Moderate in right knee. I can't imagine my hip replacement surgery will be soon. I'm just wanting advice on how to get a decent sleep... I'm normally a side sleeper but due to the pain I find I can't do this for long. Lying on my back is alien to me but I'm trying. I bought a wedge to put my lower legs on but I struggle to get a decent night's sleep. I work full time (although have had to drop my hours to 30 a week starting soon) so need to be as rested as possible.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94
    Options

Hi @ChrissieH

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community, and thank you for asking for our support. No need to apologise for being new - we all were once 😊

You tell us that you have osteoarthritis (OA) which badly affects your hips and knees (somewhat less so in your right knee). You are expecting to have hip replacement surgery but in the meantime you are struggling to get a good night's sleep because of joint pain. You are seeking advice from our members about how to get comfortable in bed.

Are you receiving any support with your pain - medication, pain clinic etc?

Here is our website's main page about OA -

and here is the page about OA of the hip (there is a link for OA of the knee on the main OA page) -

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-hip/

And perhaps most importantly this is a link about getting better sleep, especially as you are working 30hrs a week -

I suspect you will get advice and Ideas from fellow members, so please come back regularly and let us know how you are getting on.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues

• DebbieL
    DebbieL Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hiya,

I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper for my mattress. I am a side sleeper and without the topper I had a lot of hip pain. The memory foam is so much more comfortable.

Also if you can find an way of exercising that doesn’t cause too much pain afterwards it will help you to feel tired and may help you to sleep. I also use heat pads that stick to your skin and stay hot for 12 hours.

I have had a few chats with my GP about pain relief for night time.!I have 2x 30/500 cocodamol and 20mg of nortriptyline and mostly this is enough for me to be able to sleep. It make take a while to find what works best for you.

Take care

Debbie

• ChrissieH
    ChrissieH Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi. Thanks for the comments.

I shall look at the links. Anything to try is worth a go.

I am currently on 2 x cocodamol 30/500 four times a day. 50mg diclofenac three times a day. I've recently started taking 10mg amitryptiline at night to help with sleeping. I have a heat pad which I use when sitting in my chair or in bed.

I did try the memory foam mattress (Nectar) but couldn't get on with it. I bought an Emma mattress which seems more comfortable.

Thanks again. It's great to know I'm not alone