So there I was, minding my own...

Options
Face_ache
Face_ache Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello to you all, I'm looking forward to reading others' coping mechanisms!

Last year I wasfFine, the odd twinge from the knees, and the usual flare-ups from a chronic back condition. Suddenly, I woke up one morning in November and could barely move my legs from the pain in both my knees. I tried to think of what I might have done to over-exert myself the day before but couldn't think of a thing.

After x-rays and a visit to the Trauma and orthopaedic unit at my local hospital, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritic knees, and I'm now having to use a walking stick. I have been offered the option of replacement knees, but would rather put that off as long as I can!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Wonderful title to your post and your name too both made me smile this morning @Face_ache ! Thank you for that and welcome to the Online community.

I see from your post that you have Osteoarthritis in both knees and sudden onset too. That must have been quite a shock for you happily minding your own business. It does happen sometimes that people seem to get Osteoarthritis suddenly, but not that often. One person who comes to mind is @Lilymary whose hip Osteoarthritis seemed to come on suddenly.

I am going to attach a link to information about knee OA for you to look at, not because I don't think you have already read up on it, but because it has some very useful links in it which may help. Things like information about exercises to help for example and some about surgery even though you are going to delay moving forward with surgery for now.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Face_ache
    Options

Hello Ellen,

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for the link to the write-up regarding OA of the knee. I have been using TENS, on and off, for the back pain over the years, and just of late, I've been chomping my way through pain-killers more often than I would like!

I'm reasonably active as I still work (57). I am awaiting an appointment from the hospital for some knee braces that are supposed to transfer the load to the outer part of my knees that retain more cartilage, and for physio.

From a humorous point of view, the mechanic's workshop that I work in is staffed by, shall we say, gentlemen that are past the first flush of youth (the workshop "lad" is 40. It makes for an amusing spectacle watching and hearing us all getting up off of the floor or going in and out of the backs of vans.......

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi @Face_ache (love the name, used to be nickname an old boyfriend gave me, shortened to “face”). The OA in my hip made itself known very suddenly. By the time it reared it’s very ugly head I already needed a new hip, without previously knowing I had arthritis. In my case I tripped and landed on my backside, and within 2 weeks I was in so much pain they xrayed thinking I had broken something. To be honest a real might have been easier to fix. The pain just continued to get worse after that, to the point that I could only walk, in considerable pain, leaning heavily on a stick, after taking huge doses of prescription pain killers. It was exhausting and debilitating, and I was in pain 24/7.

My surgeons said this can happen sometimes, and the patient in the next bed to me when I had hip replacement said the same had happened to her. Just a few weeks before the fall I had been fell walking. To be honest I count myself lucky that I hadn’t had years of pain, as some people do. Looking back on it the signs were there at least 15 years ago, but it didn’t greatly affect me so I ignored it.

in my case the pain was so bad it was a no brainer going for replacement as soon as possible, but if you can live with it a bit longer, it reduces the risk of needing a second replacement when you eventually wear the first one out. Only you will know how much longer you can put up with it, but do bear in mind the very long waiting times (in my case over the pandemic, I was quoted 2.5 years, but I know of many who didn’t have to wait that long), and factor that in to when you choose to put your name down for surgery.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Oh that is brilliant @Face_ache (I like your name and your avatar!)

I can actually hear you all staggering upright from under a car. A bit like my husband getting out of his chair. A quick question. Do you still refer to the apprentice as 'the lad'??

I bet you do😁

• Face_ache
    Options

Just as a folow-up to this post, I have now been given a pair of "unloaders" by my local NHS hospital. They are made by a company called Rossur.

I've got to say that these have been highly successful in reducing the pain. I look a bit like I'm wearing some scaffolding, but they are easy to put on and I got used to wearing them within a short while. I'm not sure that I would be up for any long walks, but for the day-to-day-going to work malarkey, they have been excellent. If these continue to be as useful as they are at present, I can see myself putting off surgery for a few years.

Frogmorton, Of course, we call him the lad! It'd be rude not to!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

🤣🤣😂