Getting S2 funding for hip replacement in europe

Steve1B
Steve1B Member Posts: 2
edited 22. Mar 2022, 17:38 in Chit chat

Hi

Has anyone here been successful in getting NHS S2 funding for a hip replacement in europe?

If you did, where did you go and what was your experience.

I'm getting desperate to get out of my world of immobility and pain - things are so bad at [xxxx], they won't even give me an idea of how long ......

Thanks

Steve

PS If you haven't heard of S2 funding, this is it:

Text edited to remove hospital name, in accordance with our community guidelines

‘Do not identify medical professionals or organisations by name when commenting. This is to avoid any risk of legal disputes.’ Anna

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Steve1B,

Welcome to the online community, and thank you for posting about the S2 funding route. It’s something that’s not always well known about, so it’s useful to have the link. I can’t see any discussions about it on the forum, so it will be interesting to find out if any of our members have tried it.

You haven’t been given an idea of how long you’ll have to wait for a hip replacement from your hospital, and you’re desperate to be rid of the immobility and pain. Somehow it can seem more bearable when you know there’s a possible end in sight.

Please do have a look round the forum - if you type hip pain the search bar you’ll see that a lot of our members have discussed this, and offered self help measures that have worked for them. I’ve also posted a link to the Versus Arthritis website that suggests ways to help manage your pain:

Do let us know how you get on with your application,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Gosh I had never heard of this @Steve1B !

Incredible. Shocking really isn't it that it's come to this.

I for one would love to hear how you get on and the outcome/process etc as you go along. I'm sure others would too.

Bets of luck and please do let us know what happens.

Toni x

• Tartanmist
    Tartanmist Member Posts: 6

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with getting treatment in EU. It is something I have considered as I have got to the point where I need to do something to relieve the pain. If only we could get a timescale as to when we are likely to receive treatment it would make it more bearable.