Dry/tired eyes

Options
JenHB
JenHB Member Posts: 131
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I've been recently diagnosed with RA and have just started on MTX (it's my 4th dose this week - 15mg) and have noticed that my eyes are feeling quite tired and dry. Has anyone else found this is or is it a matter of either going to the opticians or worth phoning the advice line?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Hi @JenHB Nice to meet you

I got something for my dry eyes from the pharmacist (much easier) and told them at my next scheduled rheumatology appointment and my optician too at my next check up. They will both want to know.

They actually got very sore and runny they were so 'dry'.

Take care

Toni x

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi @JenHB

Tell me about it, my eyes get very dry and 'gritty' and I find they 'leak' at the outside of the eye, not a tear and very watery.

Frogmorton is right, you need to let both know optician and rheumy know about this, being in Wales and with free prescriptions I use a gel on prescription (can send it's name if you send me a PM)

It transpired I had Sjogren's, it was a while before my diagnosis and I had been doing the best I could before, as you do.

xx

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 131
    Options

I had appointment with optician today - mentioned it to her and (apart from being short sighted) my eyes are healthy - and can use the off the shelf stuff. She double checked in her booklet about MTX - and said other RA drugs can lead to eye problems. I'll mention to the rheumy too at the next appointment.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Well done @JenHB that's on your records now.

I found xailin night gel (removes even waterproof mascara too!) very helpful. You can buy it OTC cheaper than on prescription.

Take care

Toni x

• Caro50
    Caro50 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi @JenHB I have dry eyes & mouth.

The optician pointed it out to me & told me to let my doctor know. I must have been at the beginning (now 12 years on) of it because I hadn't noticed it.

I take Systane eye drops & they work well for me. I did try a pharmacy's own brand but it was too runny which is weird as it's a liquid but I really noticed the difference so I went back to it.

For dry mouth I take a bottle of juice every where I go.