Movability

Alba101
Alba101 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Mar 2022, 21:38 in Living with arthritis

Looking for some advice due to lung condition and major anaphylaxis I have been informed 12 years ago I would not be suitable for hip or knee replacements and would.be in wheelchair within 2 years .. I have remained mobile until now. However due to several bouts of pneumonia and inactivity my legs have become very weak and when I try to mobilise my back pain takes my breath away .. made further self referral for more physio input although last time they told me do pelvic floor exercises to relieve pain. Would not listen when I said following cancer I have no sensation of muscle power to do this exercise.

Please any advice would most grateful I should also mention I have M.E. and although pool exercises are good with covid in my area you have to book pool time which I cannot always make ...

Thank you for taking the time to read this my wish is to remain out of wheelchair for as.long as is possible. I am 68 years of age and I admit to being in the obese side of the scales part due to meds and bigger part due to eating regime.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I love the honesty of your final sentence😃 I wish I could help but am not sure how.

I, too, have 'lung issues'. I had asthma as a child, it went as I became an adult then returned in my 40s possibly due to ibuprofen but possibly not. I've been in re-sus twice and offered a DNR once (refused) when I had pneumonia and a collapsed lung. I have, however, never had anaphylaxis or COPD.

I tell you this because, despite that, I take methotrexate for my RA and both RA and methotrexate can affect the lungs. I see it as a balance. Things medical can't be perfect and sometimes I have to bite the bullet with imperfect stuff.

If swimming helps I hope you can continue with it. I live in a semi-rural area and a local large hotel allows local people to use their private pool. Would it be worth making enquiries where you live?

I also wonder about the physio. Personally, I've found it essential over many years. There are lots of exercises on here you could try. Where I live NHS physio is like gold dust so many use a private one which is brilliant. All my family have used them for one thing or another. They don't keep you coming back and relieving you of more money. They just spend ages finding out your exact needs, trying out exercises, typing them up for you and then send you home to do them. You can always get back if necessary but we've never needed it yet.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright