Medications not working

Options

Hi I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last year after 5 months of tests and consultations. Was put on Sulfasalazine- 5 months on and it wasn’t working. In January this year I was put on 7.5 mg methotrexate as well. It’s now end of March and still no improvement- inflammatory markers are over 100. Not getting much help and am in constant pain- what should I do?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Janeandrews_60 welcome to the online Community. I understand from your post that you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been taking 7.5mg Methotrexate (MTX) since January alongside Sulfasalazine. I see you are in constant pain and the dose you are on is not improving your inflammatory markers either. I presume you have spoken to your team about this? Have you got an appointment at all due with Rheumatology? Sometimes we do need to be quite assertive in order to get the help we need.

While you are waiting for some of our members to come along I am going to attach a couple of links. Th one about Rheumatoid Arthritis contains useful information about treatments:

This second one is about Methotrexate (apologies if the information is not new to you)

Do please have a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Very best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @Janeandrews_60

Nice to meet you.

Your Methotrexate dose sounds pretty low maybe it needs upping I wonder🤨

Having said that are they making you wait 12 weeks first to see if that level is high enough for you alongside your Sulf Could be.

When are you next being reviewed?

Well i wasn't much help was I? But I am offering my sympathy ((()))

Take care

Toni xx

• Janeandrews_60
    Options

Hello @frogmorton

thank you for your comments - I think perhaps you are right - it is quite low and probably coming up to 12 weeks. I am seeing the consultant this week to discuss ways forward. Hoping she will suggest upping Methotrexate

it is very difficult to get appointments, as you probably know ! So I am going prepared with questions.

thank you for your help and sympathy 🤗, it’s nice to be part of a community who understand.

jane x

• Bella59
    Bella59 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi Jane I'm afraid it is a case of trial and error.You are on a low dose of Methotrexate it goes up to 25mg.Also it can take at least twelve weeks to work.It is good you are seeing someone as appointments can be hard to get.I myself am still trying to get Ra and Polymyalgia stable.I have been tried on several meds over the years,still searching but lucky we get the chance as some meds are expensive.I hope you will find a med to help you soon.x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

You are right @Bella59 in some countries they have to pay for these medications.

@Janeandrews_60 You get yourself ready with your questions when you can get an appointment. Best of 🤞 let us know how you get on.

It is lovely here finding people who understand and do not judge😊

Take care

Toni xx