OA

Options

Had X-ray cos of swelling above right hip and pain , diagnosed last week with OA , say exercise which I’ve been doing for last 2 years along with recent frozen shoulder op twice , waking up in pain around back and sides of both hips , anyone have any tips , docs told me take paracetamol but not curing the pain they havnt suggested any other med to help , just find it hard to get out of bed or relax cos in constant pain and due to go back to work as a carer next month is there anything else anyone can suggest that will help please

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Good Morning @Liverpool1 Welcome to the Online community.

I understand from your post that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of the right hip. You haven't been prescribed any pain relief by your GP and are due to return to work as a carer in April.

I am attaching a link to our information about pain it may help you feel more prepared when you next talk to your GP about your condition/pain which you may well need to do before returning to work Your job is quite physically demanding:

This is information specific to Osteoarthritis of the hip which you might find helpful:

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Liverpool1
    Options

Ty Ellen , gp hasn’t even offered a follow up maybe when physio have discharged me from 2nd op on frozen shoulder the go has to refer me back to fit to work , yes my jobs very physical I’m hoping this condition is not gonna stop me from working as a carer , my gp said exercise and paracetamol, paracetamol is not working , my right hip remains swollen to which I did mention to my gp . I have been doing YouTube exercises every day for osteoarthritis and I do a 5 mile stationary exercise bike every day , I eat once a day , my weights not going down , I am a physical active person all day but the swelling and pain I endure is horrendous . I’m currently on esa only which is peanuts to live on but hoping physio is going to discharge me so I can go back to work but worried if it gets worse and I’m out of a job with no money to live on . Just wish this pain and swelling will go but know it’s a lifetime condition and praying it doesn’t get any worse :(

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

You seem to be doing everything right @Liverpool1

Is this worth a look?

You may well need to see your GP again if you aren't able to work when your sick note is up.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Very best of luck

Ellen.

• Liverpool1
    Options

Physio and orphapeadics surgeon discharged me yesterday as I’ve been off work for nearly 2 years had 2 ops for frozen shoulder , then this problem with hip osteoarthritis diagnosed last week just waiting for gp to do back to work note and sort out physio for pain relief exercises , gonna start pt hours to begin with and ease myself slowly into my caring job 👍. Also been doing side steps with a restriction band to help hips movement too so praying it’s gonna ease up some of the pain , I’m not gonna let this problem beat me I’m tougher then that . Morning all btw hope everyone’s feeling ok ?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Well done, you! You are really working hard, in difficult circumstances, to be as good as possible and you deserve success. All I can say is that exercises have kept me mobile for many years so keep going with them. I'm not convinced about one meal a day for weight loss.

I think there's some evidence that the body decides it has to make the most of that one meal and it's actually better to just keep it going regularly through the day, maybe with just a piece of fruit or veg.

Your GP can prescribe more pain relief but you have a difficult job and will need all your wits about you so some of the stronger stuff won't be appropriate. Worth a chat, though.

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Liverpool1
    Liverpool1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Ty stickywicket trying to stay positive like yourself , you also need a well done too as of many of us :)