What does QA in your knees feel like?

Options
Ellaboo
Ellaboo Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all I was diagnosed with RA in my hands a year ago and have been on hydroxychoroquinne 200mg and Methotrexate 7.5mg since then which has helped.

Last October I fell down the stairs and hurt my right knee, after an X-ray I was recently diagnosed with QA in my right knee and given Capsaicin cream. I now have pain in my other knee as well. I am unable to kneel down or bend either knee which scares me and the clicking sound is so loud it makes me feel sick. I am in constant pain with stiffness, swelling and discomfort in my knees and down into my shins and calves. My legs feel heavy like breeze blocks when I stand and try to walk after laying or sitting. Is this normal? I’ve even googled deep vein thrombosis because I’m not sure all the other symptoms are QA related.

I was also given Celecoxib but have been nervous to take it as they said I shouldn’t be on it for too long so continue to take just ibuprofen for the pain, but would Celecoxib help with all the other symptoms and should I take it for a short time?

Thank you ☹️

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hi @Ellaboo I see from your post you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have now been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis (OA) in your right knee. the other knee has joined in and you are experiencing other symptoms with both knees. You seem to be querying whether this is Osteoarthritis and have avoided taking the celecoxib which you are prescribed for knee.

Has the Osteoarthritis been diagnosed by your GP or via Rheumatology I wonder? Does the practitioner who originally diagnosed Osteoarthritis in the right knee know about the pain in your left knee and just how bad it is? You could consider asking for another consultation.

While you wait for some of our members to come along and tell you about their knee Arthritis I am attaching a couple of links for you to read:

As for your celecoxib (celebrex) it is a COX2 type of anti-inflammatory it is slightly different to ibuprofen as it is supposed to be gentler on our stomachs.

Do read the section covering anti inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) There is useful advice here:

I will leave you now to meet our members

Best wishes

Ellen.