New diagnosis

Options
Kalien
Kalien Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello Kalien here am new to the community. I injured my knee at 13, went through many diagnostic tests and 4 operations of varying descriptions. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 25, I remember crying in the hospital after I was told. At the age of 36 I ended up having a partial knee replacement done. The decision to have the knee replacement surgery has got to have been one of the best I have ever made in my life. Yes I still have arthritis on the other side of my knee and yes I still have pain, but at least I can walk now without any aids. Before the operation it was a gamble every morning as to if I was going to be able to walk that day without crutches or not.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @Kalien lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

What a lovely upbeat post yours is I hope it will help those facing (and possibly fearing) knee surgery. I am so very pleased your operation has helped your mobility so much.

I am sure you have been given physiotherapy exercises to do for your knee, but wonder whether these might be of interest to you too?

Best wishes and thank you for your post.

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Well done you @Kalien my own daughter had hip surgery at 18 and a shoulder replacement at 19 (cancer treatment damaged her joints) so I know it can be done young if it's absolutely necessary.

Her quality of life is fabulous now! I know she and possibly you, may well face revisions in the future, but she couldn't have waited until she was in her 50's and neither could you☺️

I am really pleased for you you have your life back!

take care

toni xx